Site Meter

12 January 2009

Sunday's Music - January 11

Thanks to FredMcKinnon for igniting the "Sunday Setlists" fire! Today's post is part of the Sunday Setlist Blog Carnival! Download links below go to Amazon.com where applicable, and traiditonal music typically links to CyberHymnal.org.

Sing to the King (Billy Foote / Charles S. Horne) - key of E - Jan Owen at The Brook introduced me to this song years ago, and it is a huge favorite.

Better is One Day (Matt Redman) - key of E - we actually play this song similar to the "Shout to the Lord: Kids" version. That is, we do it closer to 115 beats per minute rather than Matt Redman's original, slower version (maybe 80 beats per minute?). Makes more of a marriage to lyrics and music, in my opinion.

Blessed Be Your Name (Matt Redman) - key of A - it struck me last week that we tend to turn our attention toward God when the larger bad things happen, but in the course of "regular" life when we're pummeled by lots of little things, we tend to forget to take these and put them down at the foot of the cross.

Draw Me Nearer (I Am Thine, O Lord) (Fanny Crosby / W. Howard Doane) - key of G - we used the chorus only. Looking at the link, is it just me or does Fanny Crosby look a little scary?

7 comments:

johnnysierra said...

Great setlist, love the song selections!

Tony M said...

Yes, I agree - great setlist. Was "Draw Me Nearer" done a capella (or nearly so, perhaps moving that direction and ending a capella)? I can hear it that way...

thefirstthought said...

Okay, that picture of Franny Crosby is freaky! I've never heard Draw Me Nearer, either. The lyrics look great. I'm going to check it out.

Greg said...

When I hear "Draw Me Nearer," I always think of the church where my grandfather preached in Ingomar, Mississippi. I always hear the voice of Mr. Keith who led the singing, his voice booming out "NEEEAAAAREEER" as his face turned just as red as it could be. Always on the first "nearer" in the chorus. I can hear it just as plain as day, and it still brings a smile to my face.

He always had a loud voice and he always turned red when he sang at 100%, but for some reason that song always sticks out in my memory.

Steffanie Oltmans said...

"Sing to the King" is an awesome song! It always gets great response with our congregation.

Russell Martin said...

Growing up in in a methodist church using a hymnal I am very familiar with Draw Me Nearer... Great hymn that actually translates to a contemporary setting fairly well. We try to use hymns periodically and I should make sure and keep that one in mind. Thanks for sharing.

Louise Knight said...

A funky Better is One Day - maybe I'd enjoy it that way.

And yup - she looks terrifying.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review