Site Meter

11 March 2008

Nice Duds!

My wife and I went to a restaurant last night, and upon her first stop at our table, the watiress asked, "What would you like to drink?" and in her instructed method of using the power of suggestion, she continued with a couple of drink options. I fully expected, "A margarita or a [Brand X] beer?" to come out of her mouth, but what do you suppose she prompted us to order?


Oddly, the drinks she mentioned in her leading question were, "A raspberry iced tea or a [Brand X] cola?"

After my wife and I gave in to her salespersonship ("salesmanship" doesn't work there) and ordered a raspberry iced tea and a [Brand X] soda, the waitress walked off and I immediately said to my wife, "Hey, she didn't suggest margaritas or wine!" My wife replied, "That's because you're starting to look like a pastor."

I looked down at my old Superman T-shirt and the black long-john shirt underneath it, then looked up at my wife and said, "Yeah, right!" And then I went into introspective mode (this is a requirement for me in every situation, you know). "Self," I sez to myself, I sez, "You rarely dress like someone who's on a pastoral staff." And then I wondered if that was a good thing or not.

I almost immediately came to the conclusion that I was okay as long as my appearance doesn't ever cast negativity on Christ. Here's the way I'm concerned about being clothed:

"I am overwhelmed with joy in the Lord my God!
For he has dressed me with the clothing of salvation
and draped me in a robe of righteousness."

"Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father."

(By the way, in my hunt for Scriptures today I read Psalm 29, and I highly encourage you to read it today, too. It's not directly applicable to today's post, but wow!)

We ordered the margaritas after dinner.

Just kidding!

6 comments:

Christy said...

So, how did you like the raspberry iced tea?

Dean Lusk said...

It was dee-lish!

Jan said...

I think that what you wear doesn't matter as long as it is not revealing or offensive (say an Ozzy shirt or something disturbing. Personally I hope people cannot look at me and tell from my dress that I am a minister. I hope they can see by my life that I am a follower of Jesus Christ, but I think the only dress we need to be concerned about (except as stated above) is that we clothe ourselves with love and humility and gentleness as the scriptures say. And who wants to look like a clone anyway????

Anonymous said...

Dean, are you starting to care more about what you wear? You have a style all of your own! I'm sure you've considered Matt 6, too. You are seeking His righteousness!

-tiffany

Amanda said...

You dress fine, ask my 7 year old who wants to look like Mr. Dean.
:-)

Worship Dude said...

Hey Dean,

I've been thinkin' about the same thing lately. I really like your approach. It's really scary that we think alot alike.
BTW, if you were wearing an old Superman shirt, why then did you wife say you were lookin' MORE like a Pastor. Does 'Bama pastors wear old Superman shirts, now, or what?
Not the 'Bama pastors that I know.

You should repost this one on the WP Blog!

See Ya,
Jamey

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review