Site Meter

13 September 2008

Have a Happy Day

As an adult, I've always been somewhat restrained in showing emotion. At least, that's the case with the "happy" emotions. I seem to have little problem communicating the negative ones.

I suppose that's because I feel like the good ones can have a tendency to make me look stupid; like going around being really happy -- if I do that for no apparent reason, people might think I'm crazy, right? But the way I suppose I've seen it, if I go around showing only the negative emotions, people will think I'm grumpy. That's normal, eh? Happy is crazy...

I was listening to Matt Redman's song "Dancing Generation" (lyrics below) yesterday and realized that while my heart may occasionally "dance," there ought to be more outward rejoicing in the Lord with abandon. I want to smile, to laugh, and to visibly enjoy my relationship with the Creator. (This post is not to extol the virtues of dancing; I'm speaking directly about attitudes of the heart today.)

Your mercy taught us how to dance;
To celebrate with all we have,
And we'll dance to thank You for mercy.
Your glory taught us how to shout,
To lift Your name in all the earth,
And we'll shout to the praise of Your glory.

It's the overflow Of a forgiven soul,
And now we've seen You, God
Our hearts cannot stay silent!

And we'll be a dancing generation,
Dancing because of Your great mercy, Lord;
Your great mercy, Lord!
And we'll be a shouting generation;
Shouting because of Your great glory, Lord;
Your great glory, Lord!

"Dancing Generation" by Matt Redman, (c) 2004 Thankyou Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing),
CCLI Song# 4329428

"But you are not like that, for you are a chosen people. You are royal priests, a holy nation, God’s very own possession. As a result, you can show others the goodness of God, for he called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light." (1 Peter 2:9, NLT)

UPDATE! Now I'm positive that there is some message for someone in this post today! As soon as I'd hit the "Publish Post" button, I got an e-mail from Christy with a link to this video. It helps to illustrate, I believe. If nothing else, it will give your Saturday a smile (if nothing else, a smile that says, "No way...").



RE-UPDATE!!! Unbelievably, the YouTube video I'd posted was removed (okay, well, it's back now, so I've reposted it). I also offer a gander the one below. It should spark its own stream of comments, if my guess is correct. Whew! The total unbelievability kicks in around 1:35.

10 comments:

Christy said...

Oh my word, Dean! That's worse than the one I sent you - didn't know that was possible. My first thought was "Holy Stinkbomb, Batman!" Then when I realized what song they were singing, I couldn't stand it. I can't stop laughing.

Christy said...

and no, I didn't watch the whole thing. I couldn't put myself through that. (sorry for the double posting)

Preston N said...

I'm just wondering what the room smelled like with all those flying socks in the air -Eeewwwww! "Holy Stinkbomb Batman" is a very appropriate phrase Christy!

Seriously though, can anyone spot the "Golden Calf" in the video? I would be interested in hearing from others what they think is wrong with this picture?

For me this is what happens when people lack knowledge of God and His Word and are solely basing their worship on pure emotion. BTW - If God is spinning me around like a record, then I wish he would stop as I really don't like it.

Preston N said...

OK now that the first video is back up and running I just have to say this - I was expecting any minute that this was some parody being done by Saturday Night Live and I expected Will Ferrell to pop out any second.

BTW - did the guy in the middle seem a little creepy? I also LOVED the breakdancing - sweet!

Lisa said...

As my teenaged girls would say, "Stop! My eyes are bleeding!" Seriously...I had to ask myself, do I love Jesus enough to stand in a room of sweaty people spinning stinky socks? Hmmm......(kidding, for those of you that don't know me)

Leroy said...

Is that a young Joel Tester?!!

Leroy said...

BTW, I know it's not JT. Just an observation. :)

Melissa said...

Josh said, "WOW, that is the weirdest thing I have ever seen," about the first video. I, too, thought it was going to be from SNL and was shocked when it was not.

Lamarr said...

yeah, well; I not only own the cookie jar (from my grandmother's house, now proudly smiling at me on my kitchen counter) but I LOVE the round round song, and you'd find me spinning my stinky socks and jumping up & down with the rest of them!

My favorite song is still "We will dance on the streets that are golden, the glorious bride and the great Son of Man..."

Dean Lusk said...

From Preston's comment: "For me this is what happens when people lack knowledge of God and His Word and are solely basing their worship on pure emotion."

Yep, ditto.

I think the "Golden Calf" that Preston asked about was probably the music itself.

I believe the thought process in preparation for that "service" was, "He, we need to get people to take off their socks. How can we do it in a way that seems religious? Oh!! I've got it! We'll mention taking our shoes off and allude to holy ground, and say something about honoring people."

That really got me -- to announce that it's time to honor the Lord, and then say, "And while you're down there, grab a SOCK! Ha ha!"

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review