Site Meter

03 June 2008

Living Up to Our Potential

My definition for someone's "potential" would be something like "the undefined phantom goal that others set for a person." Thanks to more driving and listening to Francis Chan (and being quite careful to avoid setting him up on some sort of pedestal), I present today's exciting blogisode:

Back in "the day" (whatever that means) I had a sort of running joke with a friend about commentators who said that Jose Canseco never lived up to his potential (yes, I know -- he's arguably crazy now). He was the first player to hit 40 home runs and steal 40 bases in the same season. He was the first player to belt 30 home runs for four different ball clubs (for the baseball purist, that's not necessarily a good thing). But it is possible, I suppose, that he never lived up to his potential.

As I read about the life of Jesus in the Gospels, I'm sure that you think, along with me, that He really could've cared more about people. Sure, He healed a lot of people and traveled everywhere preaching and candidly telling the religious leaders what God thought of them, but I just don't think He lived up to His potential.

Now, obviously I don't believe that (and felt my hair standing on end when I was typing it), and I feel certain you don't, either. But as a Christ-follower, one whose goal is to be like Jesus Christ in everything, how do I compare? When I look at my interaction with God and with people around me...

Could I care more?

Should I care more?

Do I want to care more?

Ask these questions of yourself and then replace the word "care" with "give" (not necessarily money) and then "love." Are you good to go, or does something need to change? If change is needed, is that something you're going to intentionally make an effort to do?

Give freely and become more wealthy;
    be stingy and lose everything.
The generous will prosper;

    those who refresh others will themselves be refreshed.
Proverbs 11:24-25 (NLT)

1 comments:

Christy said...

That was my prayer this morning. I read several passages of Scripture that reminded me that it's my MIND SET that determines my actions. So, that's what I've been thinking about today. I don't know if you read my list of want-to-do's on my blog or not, but I just realized that I can check one off today. I woke up in a good mood and I've STAYED in a good mood today! Praise God! The mind set thing works! ;)

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review