Site Meter

24 March 2008

NI-712

The other day I used "NI-712 Super Concentrated Natural Citrus Odor Eliminator Valley Rain Scent" in a... err... hygeine-centered room in the office. Naturally, this product name will remind you of the "Uranium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator," as it did me.

The primary thing I noticed about the NI-712 (I feel highly technical calling it that!) was that it should probably be called "Odor Replacer" rather than "Odor Eliminator." It has a unique and heavily overpowering -- yet not completely unpleasant -- smell.

This stuff reminded me of something I've commented on before. Have a look at Psalm 34:12-14, a passage that Peter referred to in 1 Peter 3:10-11:

Does anyone want to live a life
    that is long and prosperous?
Then keep your tongue from speaking evil
    and your lips from telling lies!
Turn away from evil and do good.
    Search for peace, and work to maintain it.

We see that it's not enough for the Christ-follower to try to get rid of the old, worldy things; the prescription we see in the Scriptures is to replace them with good -- the outworking of the Spirit renewing and remolding our minds from within (Romans 12:2).

Similarly, Jesus was speaking to the Pharisees (not Christ-followers) and gave this scenario about what happens when someone attempts to "clean up his act":

"When an evil spirit leaves a person, it goes into the desert, seeking rest but finding none. Then it says, 'I will return to the person I came from.' So it returns and finds its former home empty, swept, and in order. Then the spirit finds seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they all enter the person and live there. And so that person is worse off than before. That will be the experience of this evil generation." (Matthew 12:43-45, NLT)

As you continue daily to purge the old nature as you grow in Christ, ask God to replace those values, ideas, and actions with ones that are pleasing and honoring to Him.

NI-712, baby!

1 comments:

Leroy said...

Ol' Marvin the Martian!! One of my favorite characters ever!

Eventually, the NI-712 will wear off and what do you have to do...refresh it. That is what attending church on a regular basis does for me. Yes, I know church is not about "me", but worshiping God reminds me of my purpose, it refreshes me.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review