Site Meter

15 January 2008

Almost Complete Surrender

"Jesus traveled throughout the region of Galilee, teaching in the synagogues and announcing the Good News about the Kingdom. And he healed every kind of disease and illness. News about him spread as far as Syria, and people soon began bringing to him all who were sick. And whatever their sickness or disease, or if they were demon possessed or epileptic or paralyzed—he healed them all." (Matthew 4:23-24, NLT)

I've always thought it was a little odd that, although Jesus' disciples had seen Him perform a large number of miracles, later they were utterly taken aback when He put the kibosh on bad weather while they were boating. "The disciples were amazed. 'Who is this man?' they asked. 'Even the winds and waves obey him!'" (Matthew 8:27, NLT)

But I don't think that they were amazed because He performed "just another miracle" (which really is a bit of an oxymoron). This was different. It wasn't an interaction with humans; it was a demonstration that He had power over nature, and it seems they didn't expect that.

The apostles' reaction may be similar to that of the Christ-follower who "compartmentalizes" God, or attempts to do so, sometimes without even knowing it. When that person sees God work somewhere or in some way they weren't expecting, they're shocked, and sometimes ashamed that they had so little faith.

Similarly, we can attempt to hand over one area of our life to God and completely miss the fact that we're hanging on to another. This is not surrender. (I suppose some might call it "partial surrender," but since when does the person who's surrendering dictate the terms of the surrender?) This is not finger-pointing; it's very self-indicting for me.

Daily ask the Father to show you the cobwebbed recesses of your life that you've guarded or have, for whatever reason, taken for granted are areas in which He will not work. Then give those areas of self to Him in repentance, and continually follow up with faith and belief.

3 comments:

Preston N said...

What a blessing! Your comment "since when does the person who's surrendering dictate the terms of the surrender?", is priceless. In our house we say that's a "refrigerator comment"! In other words, it is so good it will be placed on our fridge as a place of honor!

Again, I think this stems from not fully trusting in the character of God. We hold on to things thinking we can't fully trust God. Trust is a key to surrendering our lives into God's hands. This really makes me think of the hymn "I Surrender All".

All to Jesus I surrender;
all to him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust him,
in his presence daily live.

Tony M said...

Reminds me of the song "Welcome Home" by Shaun Groves (still one of my favorites), presented here in pargraphical form (the following lyrics by Shaun Groves, copyright © 2001 New Spring Publishing, Inc./ascap.; at least, according to this site it is; if I've violated someone's copyright, please remove this comment):

Take me, make me all you want me to be; that's all I'm asking, all I'm asking...

Welcome to this heart of mine, buried under prideful vines grown to hide the mess I've made inside of me; come, decorate Lord and open up the creaking door, walk upon the dusty floor. Scrape away the guilty stains until no sin or shame remain. Spread your love upon the walls, and occupy the empty halls until the man I am has faded, no more doors are barricaded!

Come inside this heart of mine it's not my own; make it home. Come and take this heart and make it all your own; welcome home!

Take a seat, pull up a chair; forgive me for the disrepair and the souvenirs from floor to ceiling gathered on my search for meaning. Every closet's filled with clutter, messes yet to be discovered;
I'm overwhelmed, I understand I can't make this place all that You can.

Come inside this heart of mine it's not my own; make it home. Come and take this heart and make it all your own; welcome home!

I took the space that You placed in me, redecorated in shades of greed; and I made sure every door stayed locked, every window blocked, and still You knocked...

Come inside this heart of mine it's not my own; make it home. Come and take this heart and make it all your own; welcome home!

Take me, make me all you want me to be; that's all I'm asking, all I'm asking...

Tony M said...

Oh, and I (like Preston) really liked the "person who's surrendering" comment.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review