Site Meter

17 October 2015

Sunday's Music - October 18

I posted this on Summit Crossing's internal site and wanted to share it here.

Wherever I hear the phrase, “I sin in thought or deed every day,” uttered by a Christ-follower I get frustrated. That idea is in opposition to Scripture.

The apostle John wrote, “My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.” (1 John 2:1, emphasis mine)

And then there’s Romans 8:11: “If the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.”

Amazing! So there’s no reason for us to assume defeat. Yes, we still live in these tents of flesh and its our tendency to default to our old nature, but that is not the NEW default for those of us who have been buried with Christ and raised in His likeness, as His brothers and sisters.

Now, all that being said, I get mad at myself frequently because I realize this in my head, yet living it out can be frustratingly difficult. I like to indulge my own desires (there, I said it so you don’t have to). And that leads to sin. Therefore, I totally identify with the song we’ll be singing during communion time tomorrow:

Will Your grace run out if I let You down?
[Be]cause all I know is how to run.
Will You call me child when I tell You lies?
[Be]cause all I know is how to cry.

I am a sinner;
If it’s not one thing it’s another.
Caught up in words, tangled in lies.
But You are a Savior
And You take brokenness aside
And make it beautiful; beautiful.

I am thankful for Jesus Christ. I have no hope in this life or the life to come apart from His life, death, and resurrection. He makes my cruddy life beautiful in the sight of God. (Remember 1 John 1:9)
I’m sorry this is so late, but here are the songs we get to song together tomorrow:
  • From the Day (I Am They)
  • Absent From Flesh (Sojourn)
  • Brokenness Aside (All Sons and Daughters)
  • I Stand Amazed In the Presence (Daniel Renstrom)
  • My Lighthouse (Rend Collective)
Below are your playlists! There is no recorded version of “I Stand Amazed” the way we’ll be playing it tomorrow so I linked to Chris Tomlin’s version.


Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow!

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review