Site Meter

05 December 2012

Ten Least-Loved Christmas Songs of 2012

I have about 750 Christmas songs on my iPod. The problem, if it could be called that, is that I've cycled through most of them a few times already. (That's okay, because albums like "A Charlie Brown Christmas" never seem to get old.)

So, after listening to our two local Christmas-music-only radio stations in an attempt to enjoy a little variety, I have determined that only about 50 Christmas songs must have ever been recorded other than those on my iPod. Among them are three versions of "Last Christmas" and roughly 26 versions of "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" (all nearly identical, which makes me wonder why they bothered to record the other 25 versions).

As fate would have it, those two songs are on my "Ten Least-Loved Christmas Songs of 2012" list. It's not enjoyable to wake up to an alarm blaring either of those, so I've decided to start using the buzzer on the alarm instead. It's more inspiring.

Because I enjoy not enjoying certain Christmas songs, I'd like to present the complete list for you. It varies a bit from last year's list in that it's a little longer. Please reciprocate by listing your bottom 10 (or however many you'd like to include) Christmas songs.

Dean's Ten Least-Loved Christmas Songs of 2012:
  1. Last Christmas (Wham!, Taylor Swift, the Glee Cast)
  2. Step Into Christmas (Elton John)
  3. All I Want for Christmas Is You (Mariah Carey)
  4. Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree (Brenda Lee, etc., etc., etc.)
  5. Happy Christmas (War Is Over) (John Lennon, etc.)
  6. Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town (Jackson 5, Bruce Springsteen, Mariah Carey, etc.)
  7. The Christmas Shoes (NewSong -- it's a huge victory that I've only heard this song once so far all season!)
  8. Do They Know It's Christmas (Feed the World) (Band Aid)
  9. Little Saint Nick (Beach Boys)
  10. Run Rudolph Run (Chuck Berry)
Don't forget to post your own list!

5 comments:

Dean Lusk said...

And yes, this is what makes apps like Pandora so great.

Lisa Laree said...

Well...I remember my list of the worst three last year -- 'Christmas Shoes', 'I wanna Hippopotamus' and 'Happy Christmas' -- and I'd still say those are the top three (or bottom three?) of my most hated Christmas songs. Generally, though, I really like Christmas music; I don't know if I can come up with seven more that I don't like. I must have been under a rock somewhere, because there are a couple on your list that I haven't heard yet. But I can add a couple of wince-inducing pieces to my list... 'Where are You, Christmas?' , which I'm told is from Jim Carey's Grinch; 'I saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus', if only because it inspired a truly awful movie; Elvis Presley's 'Blue Christmas'; 'Favorite Things' from Sound of Music, because that is NOT a Christmas song at all, even though it's nice enough on its own, unattached to the holiday; 'I'm Gettin' Nuttin' for Christmas'(am I supposed to feel sorry for the unrepentant miscreant? ) is on my list, as is 'Feliz Navidad' (too repetitive)...am I at 10 yet? Oh, one more...hm...well, I'll stay in the repetitive category and let 'Ave Maria' round out the list...

Gee, it was kinda good to let that out...thanks for the opportunity ... ;-)

Joe Lusk said...

I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus (Jimmy Boyd).
Wonderful Christmastime (Paul McCartney)

But I can't believe you don't like the Beach Boys "Little Saint Nick"! Maybe you just don't like The Beach Boys.

Dean Lusk said...

Count it all joy that you don't know some of the songs on my list, Lisa. Oddly, I don't dislike "Feliz Navidad," although I feel like I should. Same for "Baby, It's Cold Outside," which doesn't mention Christmas. (Neither does "Sleigh Ride," by the way.)

I have to admit that, like Lisa, I had a hard time coming up with ten songs for my list. "Wonderful Christmas Time" should have been on it rather than "Little Saint Nick." I'm not a huge Beach Boys fan, but I don't dislike them. I guess the song feels forced to me, as though they were contractually obligated to make a Christmas album and that was one of the resulting songs. Not sure. In fairness, it's probably not in my bottom 10 after all

I had to search for and preview the Elton John song so I could find the name. I despise it so much that I've never heard the entire song. If it comes on while I'm in a store, I'm liable to leave the store. I really don't like it.

Lisa Laree said...

The first version of 'Little Saint Nick' I heard was the one done by the Muppets...and I laugh at Animal every time I hear it, so I actually have a bit of a fondness for that song. Elton John's is one of them that I haven't heard yet (definitely live under a rock), but I WILL walk out of a store if 'Christmas Shoes' comes over the PA. One traditional carol that should've made my list but didn't...'I Saw Three Ships'. That has NEVER made any sense at all to me....and what's that song about the guy who runs into a former girlfriend and they sit in the car and drink beer until the snow turns into rain? Lite 96.9 goes OFF if that one comes on... but that's over my allotted 10. ;-)

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review