Site Meter

15 September 2012

Meeting the Minimum Requirements

Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can neither do nor teach become critics. (Or so it's been said.)

Often I feel like I have a skill set that uniquely qualifies me to be a critic.

In 2 Corinthians 12 Paul noted that he had been given a thorn in the flesh to keep him from becoming proud. I get it. Not that what I'm about to describe could be called a "messenger from Satan" in any way, but when you meet the minimum requirements for a particular task there's little chance that you'll become arrogant about the job you do. That can be a good thing.

I have the privilege of leading corporate worship through music in a wonderful variety of places. My favorite, hands-down, is the Downtown Rescue Mission in Huntsville, AL. The first time I ever led music in a church setting was about 10 years ago at Wall Highway Baptist Church in Madison, AL, when we were going through what seemed to be a rather rough time for the church fellowship. We'd run out of options so I volunteered. I remember thinking, "What have I just done?!" Prior to that morning, I believe I'd only sung in public two or three times in my entire life. It petrified me, with good reason.

You see, I can tell if you have a good voice, and I can determine how well you stay on pitch. Matter of fact, I obsess about that kind of thing. The problem is that I don't have a particularly appealing voice, and believe it or not, staying on pitch isn't something that comes second-nature to me. It takes effort. I'm fine on background vocals, but if I'm the one who has the main vocal part, it's a risky venture. Every time I stand up in a group to sing with or lead them, I'm keenly aware of the shortcomings in my vocal ability.

For this reason I've never been able to identify with a worship leader who falls prey to pride in his own ability. God knew what He was doing when He led me into this area. He equipped me with the minimum amount of ability needed to do the job, and as a result I've been blessed far beyond what I'd have imagined.

I don't always agree with the saying, "God doesn't call the equipped; He equips the called," but in my case the statement is validated. I'm grateful for every single opportunity to sing with the Church.

This is why I want to encourage each of you to step forward into what God calls you to do, whether or not you believe you're the best person for the job. Sometimes the best person isn't actually the best person.

1 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review