Site Meter

14 December 2011

So You Think God Is Through With You...

I'd like for you to invent an excuse for me to explain why I haven't written anything lately. I just don't want to offer the usual, "Blogging has been pretty light lately because life has been heavy," or something. I'm tired of making excuses and I'm betting some of you are also grand at it.

Once you've done that, read the rest of the post, but don't read on until you've given me my excuse. Please leave it in the comments here, even if you're a lurker who never puts comments on blogs, only on Facebook.

Done? Great. We'll move on, then.

To shoot from the hip, lately I've felt a bit like God was finished with me. Not "finished with me" in that He was so put out with me that He flopped back in His chair and said, "Okay, that's it. I'm done with that Lusk boy," but almost as though I'd done whatever it was that I was intended to do from the day I was born, and from here on out I should just expect to watch what He would be doing in the lives of other people.

He seems to have shattered that idea, though, and I have to admit that I'm rather glad I was completely wrong. I've learned over the years that God tends to work within time frames that don't make much sense to me until after they've passed, and usually in ones that stretch out longer than I'd have suggested to Him if He'd asked me in the first place. I say that I've "learned" that, but I can also say that I regularly forget it. It's like learning something in geometry class in whatever grade it is that one takes geometry class. Years later you may remember some general principles, but you don't remember a specific formula until you have to put it into use. Then you have to learn it all over again, but this time it makes sense because you actually had to use it in the real world. (Okay, maybe geometry was a terrible example.)

That's where I am today and I wanted to share it with every single one of my adoring fans. (Hi, Mom & Dad!!!)

I've not forgotten that I haven't finished the series on hermeneutics. You should read the first three parts. They're here, here, and here. I promise to get back on track immediately unless one of you provides me with the Mother of All Excuses in the comments.

Until then...

5 comments:

Tony M said...

Excuses, excuses...

"My computer was stolen" (wait, you already used that one, didn't you? awful thing!)

"My dog ate my blog notes" (wait, is your dog still getting around OK after the awful thing that happened to him? and you don't really use notes when blogging, do you?)

"I work in sales, and it's the busy time of the year as we head into Christmas" (wait, you're not working that kind of sales, huh?)

"Too much going on at the church this time of year" (wait, uh... :) this was meant fully in jest, only! I meant no harm by it...)

"I'm going down south to see some old friends" (well, we'd like that, but it's probably not quite true... and, we have internet here, too!)

"I've been on mission out of the country" (now that's a GREAT excuse... but unfortunately I don't think it applies at this point in time, but hold on to it for your next overseas mission trip)

"The Christmas lights keep tripping the breakers and my computer reboots, so it's taking forever to get anything written" (better, but do you use a laptop which has a battery power supply? and it's Google - while you won't be able to write while the router is rebooting, you don't lose much work as it auto-saves your blog posts along the way)

"I've been too busy thinking up excuses to write new blog posts" (well, you already said you don't have an excuse and you need us to write them for you...)

"I'm fresh out of ideas" (no, wait, that's my excuse for why this excuse list is coming to a close!)

Sorry, guess I can't help... hopefully someone else will have a good one for ya!

Jan Owen said...

Hey Dean! I love the spiritual excuses best myself. You haven't written because God has not given you something to write about...

As for your post, I could really relate to this: "but almost as though I'd done whatever it was that I was intended to do from the day I was born, and from here on out I should just expect to watch what He would be doing in the lives of other people." I still feel this way a bit and I think it stems from two things:
1) I now have to SEEK places and opportunities to use my gifts - and quite often am met with silence when I volunteer. That's just plain unnerving.

2) I felt that I gave alot of things my best shot with all my heart and - in the end - I'm not sure it mattered. So now I don't know what to do.

But I do know this - it's a horrible feeling. And it leaves you feeling purposeless and unneeded. Which no one wants. Some days I feel paralyzed by it.

So I am happy for you! You are so talented and such an amazing worship leader and you have so much wisdom to offer. God will use your wiling heart.....

Merry Christmas!

Lisa Laree said...

Oh, the most obvious excuse of all..."I've been searching all over town AND the internet for the perfect Christmas gift for my wife; I know exactly what it should be but I haven't found anyone selling quite that item...yet..."

And I've decided there's one sure way to know God is not finished using you yet: you are still here. When we're done, we get to go Home. :-)

Merry Christmas to you AND your adoring fans!

Christy said...

I was feeling like this not too long ago. A co-blogger posted on Psalm 1 and it was a tremendous comfort to me. The portion of the Scripture that he was stressing were the first three verses:
Blessed is the one
who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
or sit in the company of mockers,
but whose delight is in the law of the LORD,
and who meditates on his law day and night.
That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, *which yields its fruit in season*
and whose leaf does not wither—
whatever they do prospers.

If I can find the post again, I will share it with you. I thought it was profound.

Oh, and personally, my excuse for not blogging as much is because of facebook. I have almost given up on blogging altogether because of low hits/comments. I can post a comment on facebook and get almost immediate responses. I don't know what people have against leaving comments on blogs.

Christy said...

Here is the link to the post I mentioned. I hope it blesses you like it did me. Let me know.

http://adisciplesthoughts.blogspot.com/2011/07/seasons-of-christians-life.html

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review