Site Meter

16 December 2011

IDFLC Syndrome

My daughter and I geared up for the Christmas season moderately early this year. Lights were on the edge of the roof of the house and in the yard before Thanksgiving, and the Christmas tree went up Thanksgiving night.
Christmas music was in effect by then, too. My wife even called me "Clark Griswold" two or three times. Really.

The month has been rushing by so quickly, though, with the standard amount of December stuff happening, that I seem to have acquired the dreaded IDFLC Syndrome.

It Doesn't Feel Like Christmas.

Nevertheless, the Christmas season is upon us whether it feels like it to me or not. I know this. My personal perspective in no way impacts the truth that our special celebration of Jesus' birth will happen on December 25 and festivities and music and decorations will bookend it, but it would be nice to "feel" it throughout the season.

This general sensation isn't something new or isolated to blue Christmases. Removing the festive holiday setting and thinking about day-in, day-out life throughout the year, God is always at work around us (hat-tip to Henry Blackaby) but from my perspective it sometimes seems like He's forgotten about something or isn't working in my idea of a God-like way; usually regarding my special concern or situation at the time.

Just as the Beach Boys sang in one of my non-preferred Christmas songs (but one my daughter loves), "Christmas comes this time each year."

And just as the Word says:

I look up to the mountains-
does my help come from there?
My help comes from the Lord,
who made heaven and earth!
He will not let you stumble;
the one who watches over you will not slumber.
Indeed, he who watches over Israel
never slumbers or sleeps.
- Psalm 121:1-4 (NLT) (emphasis mine)

1 comments:

Jan Owen said...

Good point Dean! Love the scripture. I too struggle a bit with Christmas this year. No parties, no concerts, no CELEBRATION, no wonder. I'm still waiting on that. PRaying God gives me one moment of holy awe and wonder this Christmas!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More