Site Meter

29 November 2011

What Is Your Essential Annual Christmas Gift?

I remember when Hallmark didn't make Keepsake Ornaments. I believe the first time I saw a collectible/gift ornament was around 1981 or 1982. Back then they tended to be regular ol' spheres with a print wrapped around them (at least, that's all I was familiar with). Our parents began to give me and my brother collectible ornaments around that time and they became "staple gifts," so to speak, every Christmas for several years.

When I got married we followed suit, but with Hallmark-style specialty ornaments. This continued for a while after we had kiddos.

Eventually we collected too many and they stopped being quite so awesome or cute or novel. Consequently, specialty ornaments fell out of Lusk favor (although we still get them from time to time). Now I tend to get a nutcracker for each of our two kids. I don't think my wife really likes nutcrackers because now we have too many of them now (as if that were possible). I'm such a typical American consumer in this respect, I'm afraid.

Over the years several things have been on my list and my family's, some short-lived and some long-lasting, some keepsakes and others consumables. Here are just a few:

- Ornaments (obviously)
- Nutcrackers (also obviously)
- Holiday Barbie of the year
- Life Savers candy storybook
- Ribbon candy

What gift, if any, is on your essential annual Christmas list?.

5 comments:

Lisa Laree said...

A giant peppermint stick. Bob's or King Leo (NOT American Candy Company!) only, so it doesn't happen every year. Only when I can find the right kind. Our school bus driver Mrs. Wiley used to hand one out to each kid as we got off on the last day before Christmas break; I'd eat mine for the whole Christmas break. My kids, however, don't appreciate them so much; I've found them whole and unopened and somewhat, um, sticky months and months later. So I'm probably going to just get them for the girls in my classes at church this year...

Dean Lusk said...

Every time I get one of those it gets somewhat sticky minutes later. Doesn't take months and months for me. :-)

I've only been able to eat a giant candy cane once or twice, so they never caught on in our family when I was a kid. Maybe my parents got us American Candy Company peppermint sticks. Hmmmmm...

Tony M said...

This may sound strange at first, but every year (since we got married) I get my wife a "kitchen gift." Now, that's what I call it, but it's more of a "decorative food presentation" gift - one year it was a set of (really nice) silverware (you know, the kind you don't ever really use); one year it was a set of (nice) dishes (but "usable" nice, not the kind that you put away and never pull out because you don't ever have "that kind" of company); serving sets, cake platters, nice silver and glass coasters, etc. This year (yes, she may read this, but I've already given it to her early, as she was there when we bought it), it's an iron serving "thing" that holds plates, napkins, and silverware all in a convenient, space-saving layout (along with a matching, three-tiered, iron frame and ceramic baking/serving dish set - again, nice presentation and space saving all in one!).

Initially, it was to help build up our "collection" of nice serving stuff... you know, for when we have company or whatever... but it's really become a tradition between her and me (I'd have said "me and her" as I'm the one doing the giving, but you're supposed to put yourself last, so I switched it the way it's supposed to be; and it's certainly not "between her and I" - "I" is a subject, not an object, so you need to us the objective "me" in this instance). 20 years now, 20 "kitchen" gifts...

Lisa Laree said...

Re the sticky candy canes...minutes once you open it; but it'll even get sticky in its wrapper in Alabama summer humidity. Recently threw away an icky-looking unopened giant King Leo sitck from about 2 Christmases ago that Daniel found under his bed. Shoulda kept that for myself.

Lisa Laree said...

Oh, and I meant to remark that our 'First Christmas Together' ornament is a glass ball w/a plastic sleeve decal on it from Hallmark. Definitely pre-Keepsake (1980). I'm aggravated that I can't remember what Hallmark labeled their ornaments then...'Holiday Traditions' maybe? That doesn't sound right...and we haven't pulled our ornaments out yet so I can't look...

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review