Site Meter

08 November 2011

"Personhood" -- It Isn't Just for Androgyny Anymore!

Big news! Mississippi voters are at the polls to support or vote against Initiative 26, an amendment that defines "personhood as 'every human being from the moment of fertilization, cloning or the functional equivalent thereof,'" according to CNN.com.


(No, I don't live in Mississippi and I didn't vote today.)

While it does seem a bit extreme (and I'd fear some fallout as a result) I applaud whoever is responsible for the amendment, but I don't think for a moment that it will pass. If it does pass, it will be appealed and the appeal will be upheld, or it will be ruled somehow as unconstitutional.

Sadly, too many people make a living off of what this amendment would prevent. The CNN article states it accurately:

"The Mississippi State Medical Association and Doctors Against MS 26 are voicing concern about implications for the health care of women as well as their ability to practice medicine."

The good ol' boy system -- the one based on politics and lots of money -- will be working at its finest in the coming days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is so extreme about it? I'm not being snarky, I just wondering.

Leslie

Dean Lusk said...

You know what? I can't remember the aspect of the proposition that I thought was "extreme." I read and reread my post several times and I'm scratching my head.

So there you have it. Maybe I thought it was going over the top to define what "person" means. In retrospect, it doesn't seem extreme to me.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review