Site Meter

14 October 2011

Get Out of My Face!

As nutty as it sounds, my son has occasionally had issues with disobedience. Nothing extraordinary, but standard types of lunacy that tend to plague kids and teens (though I'm mostly positive this never affected me when I was growing up). I won't name the issues; you can use your imagination and you'll probably be close.

Sometimes he's repeated the same screw-up multiple times. No, really. On occasion he feels he was justified in what he did and is less than sorry for it, but every so often he's genuinely apologetic, asks for forgiveness, and fully intends to avoid repeating that same error again.

When he comes to me and is truly repentant, you know what my response is? I say through clenched teeth, "Get out of my face. You disgust me! You're not worthy to be a Lusk."

Okay, I don't really say that. If I were more of... I don't know... a rotten dad, I'd do that.



I'd never react that way. So why do I sometimes have the feeling that it's God's response when I go to Him in genuine repentance for something I knew better than to do but did again? It doesn't sound like anything I've read in the Word. Here are two familiar passages:

"Then Peter came to him and asked, 'Lord, how often should I forgive someone who sins against me? Seven times?' 'No, not seven times,' Jesus replied, 'but seventy times seven!'" (Matthew 18:21-22, NLT)

"You parents—if your children ask for a loaf of bread, do you give them a stone instead? Or if they ask for a fish, do you give them a snake? Of course not! So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask Him." (Jesus in Matthew 7:9-11, NLT)

It's crazy to think that if God sets a standard for us to live up to, He won't live up to it, as well.

5 comments:

John King said...

I went through a simular problem with my son. From birth till about 12 yrs old he was a honor roll student. Involved in the church. When he stayed overnite somewhere, we always got great reports. Than in 1 day it changed. For over 10 years we never knew what troubled him. We tried doctors you name it. But he kept silent. Than one night when he was 19 he finally told me an Jeannie. A relative told him he was accident. We as parents wanted to tell him when he was old enough to understand. Instead a family member told there kids. The kids told my son. I lost 10 years of being able to be a dad, as did my wife. Now its much better. But his wounds havent healed. Forgiveness, sometimes is hard. But after you do forgive, in some cases, you dont have to respect or have anything to do with these people who cause us trouble continueous. Now for you, being your son. You must continue to try. It might take a week or 10 years. My point in all of this. We as parents get all the blame for the problems that outsiders cause to our family. But we must remember that our children will be tempted as we are. They are too young to fully understand. We must take time and do everything we can to keep them on the path. There are people that can cause alot of trouble for our kids. Its up to us as parents to keep communication open fully at all times. Praying for you and your family..Disipline brings Character..God asks us to be in good character at all times.

John King said...

just read...clarify....I lost 10 years as my wife did.....my son was so hurt angry didnt think he was wanted. Can you imagine how that would feel to a little boy. Losing those years that my son and I could have been fishing etc..It hurts very bad. Dont let outsiders destroy your immediate family. it can happen in seconds....it did to us.....

Dean Lusk said...

I apologize if I sounded like my son was having problems with obedience, or if there was something negative happening. I just used him as an illustration in general because I thought it accented the point of the post well. I could've used my daughter, too. Definitely just a hypothetical situation.

I was aiming for the way God forgives. Mercifully, He doesn't forgive me once and then start getting mad at me and eventually say, "I disown you." If we love our children as much as we do, imagine how much greater His love is for us. That's the point I was hoping to make.

I do feel huge regret with you because of how the path went for you guys. I always appreciate your encouragement to persevere through the bad times. You've said it on many occasions, and you're right on the money.

John King said...

sorry...lol....I guess I misreadit....
must be the big dean lusk name printed as a logo that covers the writing...lol
you can delete if youlike.

Dean Lusk said...

:-) No worries!

I've been thinking about changing the layout. The huge "dean lusk" is distracting, makes the posts hard to read, and makes me seem like an egomaniac.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review