Site Meter

24 October 2011

3 Vignettes From My Pseudo-Conscious Brain

On a few occasions I've woken up from a sound sleep after having had a vivid dream, grabbed a pen or gotten on the computer, and recorded it for the sake of having something really weird to read a few months to a year later. It works; it's far more weird after you've forgotten it all and read it later as if it were the very first time you'd seen it. And hey, since everyone likes to hear about other people's strange dreams, although this isn't over-the-top-crazy, I submit the following:

Last night I dreamt several things, three of which I remember. (In the words of the inimitable John Bunyan, "As I walk’d through the wilderness of this world, I lighted on a certain place, where was a Denn; And I laid me down in that place to sleep: And as I slept I dreamed a Dream.")


I was house-sitting for some friends who knew that people -- including a number of older teens -- would be coming to their house and drinking alcohol. I apparently wasn't aware of the alcohol thing until people started showing up with beverages. I knew that it was a bad situation on many levels, so I set out to find someone to tell. I didn't want to call the police because the owners were were good friends and I didn't want them to go to jail, but I couldn't just let it go. I recall telling the under-age attendees that they weren't allowed to drink, but they didn't seem to hear me. This is where section one ended.

The second part began with me driving up to a railroad crossing behind what looked like a utilities pickup truck -- all the big toolboxes and hardware on it -- but it was blue. There was a red car coming toward us in the other lane, and somehow that car did something annoying to the blue pickup. Keeping him from turning left, I believe. It made the pickup driver mad. Really mad.

I anticipated that something was going to happen so I looked back to get his tag number (which was physically impossible because the pickup was in front of me, but that's what I did). I believe the tag number started with "GL-", but I don't remember the digits after that prefix. When the red car had passed him (still headed my way), the truck made what must have been an instant U-turn, headed back toward me, and ran over the red car. Smashed the left side of the car like a pancake, but the rest of the car was fully intact, and no one was injured.

We pulled off to our right into a gravel parking lot and the blue pickup was parked there, too. I remember the panicked look on the driver's face because he was totally at fault and had acted out of rash anger. He was a slightly heavy-set redneck type, and his girlfriend was with him. This is the end of section two.

In the last part of my dream, I was walking through a clearing in the woods. The ground was mostly dirt, like ground that's been cleared at a campsite. It was evening, but I'm not sure what the sky looked like; the overall color was more brown than black. I walked, looking at several trees -- probably pines -- that had been felled. None had pine needles or leaves; they were pretty bare. I looked up and my dad was standing there preparing another tree to be cut down. I'm not sure what that means, because one doesn't "prepare" a tree before cutting it. He wasn't using a chainsaw, by the way; I believe it was a hatchet.

I knew that each of the fallen trees symbolized a person, and one was a personality from a local TV station I never watch, WHNT, but I don't remember who any of the others represented. It didn't necessarily mean that they were dead or anything morbid. I looked at my dad and asked, "What are you doing?" As if I were a young teen again, he gave his head a bit of a twist and, chiding me with the tone of his voice, said, "Well, son, this has to be done, and somebody has to do it."

I looked toward the tree he was about to cut down and saw a large square granite plaque there with a name carved in it, in Palatino Linotype font or Times New Roman, all upper-case. I'm not sure what the word was, but since we'd watched Gladiator earlier and I watched the bonus feature about the original title sequence, I feel quite confident that it was an artifact of the movie messing with my brain.

I remember walking on past my dad, thinking that even though he'd been retired for a while now, he didn't know how to not work, and I contrasted that with my own personality. I love down-time, and I wondered if that was wrong. (In moderation down-time can be very good, but overdoing it is laziness -- but thinking about this wasn't a part of my dream.) Here endeth section three.

Hope you enjoyed the stroll through my sleeping brain. Hopefully I haven't just revealed some awful secret about myself to the psychiatrists among you. If I have, let me know what it is, okay?

1 comments:

Christy said...

I, too, like to record any dreams that make an impression on me when I awaken. The first part of your dream reminds me of the Church today (the majority, anyway) and how it is looking more and more like the world. When you said you voiced your objections but noone took notice - yeah, that's about the way it is.

The second part of your dream doesn't remind me of anything except Dwight getting hit by a truck while we were on the road last week. I'll not share the details with you, though. I find it interesting that you also dream in color (supposedly the majority of people dream in black and white).

The third part of your dream reminds me of the words Jesus spoke in John 15:4-6 "Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned." I know you said it was trees that your dad was cutting down, but that's what came to mind. And with him using a hatchet instead of a chain saw, perhaps he was trying to inflict enough pain to wake up the trees and give them another opportunity to bear fruit.

On another note, have you read Darren Thompson's new book? It's eerily accurate according to current events. Here's a link to his site with the first chapter online via video session:

http://www.ramandgoat.com/

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review