Site Meter

07 June 2011

10 Ways to Clean a Pool

Let me open by saying that I'm lying pretty blatantly. I really don't have a list of 10 ways to clean a pool. I just wasn't feeling terribly creative and needed a title. (I guess I could number the paragraphs below, but even with the bullet points I'd only have eight.)
 
As I do pretty often, this weekend I got into the pool with the net and made it my mission to clean at least some of the debris off the bottom of the pool. The water's only four feet deep, so it's not too difficult.
 
I always have to let the water stop sloshing around to be able to see exactly where some of the stuff is, so I can't just splash over to the next place. So I located several areas where pieces of fauna had collected on the pool floor, swept the net over them to dislodge them, and scooped them up, tapping the net over the side of the pool to get them out.
 
A couple of times I thought I was finished, but when I'd putt the net down I'd see other debris floating around, some of it large enough for me to wonder how I'd missed it. Apparently my scooping didn't just dislodge garbage only in the places I was focusing on. It kicked up other things, too. I had to sweep this stuff out with the net, too. Otherwise, as far as I know, it would settle back to the bottom and eventually become nasty algae or whatever. (I assume there's some magical transmogrification process that turns everything to scum and algae in a pool.)
 
This is a parallel to the life of a believer. God doesn't flip the "never do anything bad again" switch in our brains or souls when we decide to follow Him. Instead, it's incumbent upon us to make a decision to turn away from those things and follow through
  • "Do not let sin control the way you live; do not give in to sinful desires." (Romans 6:12, NLT)
  • "Because we have these promises, dear friends, let us cleanse ourselves from everything that can defile our body or spirit. And let us work toward complete holiness because we fear God." (2 Corinthians 7:1, NLT)
This is where we take our net to the "debris." You don't have to do a clean sweep in order to follow Christ, but it will definitely come afterward. As you move forward with this process, you're bound to start seeing other dirt exposed and kicked up, and the choice is yours -- get rid of that, too, or let it settle back down to the bottom of the pool.
 
It may not be so bad at first, but if you continually disregard the dirt you see, it will settle again, and it will begin to get really nasty. Eventually not only will you not be able to swim in the spiritual-metaphor pool, but there'd be no reason on earth that anyone else would look at your pool and say, "Hey, man, that greenish water looks pretty inviting. Can we swim?!"

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review