Site Meter

17 April 2011

The Office - Post-Script

When I was very young, my cousin (who was also very young) sent me a birthday card that began, "Dear DeAn." He was apparently learning his capital letters.

That one letter's capitalization made a bit of a difference in things. What we do with our letters, and our language, impacts our understanding and observation.

I think my friend Leroy summed things up well in our lengthy offline discussion about the office/position of "pastor" in the Church. He said something to the effect of "We tend to think of 'pastor' as a noun rather than a verb." I believe that begins to get at some of the issues behind my last post.

We've done similar things with the words "church" and "witness," and have redefined "Christian" over the ages. It's time to put Biblical definitions back with these words.

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review