Site Meter

14 March 2011

Max the Sinless?

Max the Lovable is a great little dog. Perfect? I suppose that's for you to decide as you read this...

Max is staying with us for a while as his family moves into drag new surroundings in the deeper south. Sadly, I believe he'll be moving back in with his old family soon. He's the brother of our two yapper dogs, Buddy the Christmas Puppy and Molly the Needy.

When Max the Lovable wants a puppy treat or wants to go outside for poo and recreation, he'll get in front of me and jump into the air, his back legs reaching almost a foot off the ground, I'd guess. The crazy thing is, when he wants to get on the couch or into the recliner with me at any random old time, he'll give what I know to be a half effort and eventually (within 15 seconds or so) begin audibly begging for me to pick him up and sit him down next to me.

In theory, he CAN get onto the couch, yet in real life he can't, right? I've seen him go beyond such a little jump, yet he thinks, for some reason, that he can't jump onto the couch.

Are you familiar with the idea that we, being human, will sin every single day, period? We'll sin because we're human, right? The Bible says so? Or does it?

You know, the day that Max learned to jump a foot in the air, he was no longer a little tan puppy that couldn't. He became a dog that could. But he became a dog that had to choose whether or not to jump all the time.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come." (2 Corinthians 5:17, ESV)

"My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous." (1 John 2:1, ESV)

A sinless day?! An arrogant thought? I don't think so. I'm not claiming I never sinned, nor am I claiming the Bible says that anyone other than Jesus didn't sin. Matter of fact, I'm not claiming that I didn't sin yesterday. But...

If we Christians have the Holy Spirit living in us, is it reasonable to expect that we can jump up onto the couch (that is, resist temptation and not sin) every time, even though we were trained to think that we can't?

If not, why not?

Don't you think that expecting to sin is expecting to live in defeat?

1 comments:

Tony M said...

Your last line, "Don't you think that expecting to sin is expecting to live in defeat?" - excellent point!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review