Site Meter

05 January 2011

Reading E-Mails From the Rooftops

I believe modern technology has given us the chance for a new perspective on something Jesus said.

“Beware of the yeast of the Pharisees—their hypocrisy. The time is coming when everything that is covered up will be revealed, and all that is secret will be made known to all. Whatever you have said in the dark will be heard in the light, and what you have whispered behind closed doors will be shouted from the housetops for all to hear!" (Luke 12:2b-3, NLT)

Obviously Jesus is using a bit of metaphor here; I doubt that there will be a town crier who climbs on top of a house in your neighborhood, screaming at the top of his lungs to tell them how bad you talked about your co-worker the other day, or how you insulted the hairdresser who cut your hair too short (again).

But I don't think we believe that Jesus knew what He was talking about, or we really don't believe Him. There's not much metaphor in "all that is secret will be made known to all."

Several days ago I was going to mention something to a friend in an e-mail, and it would've involved a personal observation about another person. Not even a judgment call; just my reaction to something in particular. What I was going to say wasn't bad, but before I hit "send" I read it again and thought, "How would I feel if I heard that this person said the exact same thing about me? Would it tell me that he's close to Christ, or would I think that he's being petty?"

I deleted that paragraph; it showed me some things about myself. It told me about my hypocrisy.

Does this kind of thing fit what Jesus was talking about in Luke 12? You'll probably want to read the surrounding passages.

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review