Site Meter

08 July 2010

Is the Church Singing the Right Words? (Interlude)

Uh, oh. I had planned to go a slightly different direction with this series "Is the Church Singing the Wrong Words?" My intention was to catalog what the Church "sings" with its actions versus what the original Words (Scriptures) say. Something like this:
 
Misheard lyric:
Church starts at 9; the Kingdom advances.
 
Original lyric (John 15:5):
"I am the Vine, you are the branches."
 
I'd then contrast the two. In the example above, the Church puts into practice the accepted belief that attendance at a regular meeting is a generally acceptable way to be a good Christian. If you're really spiritual, you'll get involved even more by serving the church in as many areas as possible.
 
By contrast, while we're never, ever to give up meeting with believers (incidentally, these meetings as seen in the Bible are not evangelically-focused, and there's a reason for that), being at an event or being involved in an organization are not substitutes for life in Jesus Christ. We are not Jesus' true disciples when we faithfully "attend church." We are His true disciples "when [we] produce much fruit." (Jesus, speaking in John 15:8)
 
That's the way I'd intended to go with this, but now I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to go the more light-hearted route, presenting actual misheard lyrics to songs sung at church meetings. Friend and commenter Connie pointed out the label given to misheard lyrics, by the way: "mondegreens." Wikipedia.org tells the story of that term...
 
 
[Writer Sylvia] Wright described how, as a young girl, she misheard the final line of the first stanza from the 17th-century ballad "The Bonny Earl O'Moray". She wrote [in an essay entitled "The Death of Lady Mondegreen"]:
 
When I was a child, my mother used to read aloud to me from Percy's Reliques, and one of my favorite poems began, as I remember:
Ye Highlands and ye Lowlands,
Oh, where hae ye been?
They hae slain the Earl O' Moray,
And Lady Mondegreen.
 
The actual fourth line is "And laid him on the green". Wright explained the need for a new term: "The point about what I shall hereafter call mondegreens, since no one else has thought up a word for them, is that they are better than the original."
 
 
Maybe I could include both things (my original idea as well as actual misheard lyrics) in each post. Or I could just run with the original focus. Do you have a preference?

1 comments:

Dean Lusk said...

I say, "Uh, oh" because from the few comments thus far, it looks like the expectation is for some fun stuff. It is truly entertaining to read some of the dumb stuff we come up with in place of the real lyrics.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review