Site Meter

19 June 2010

Regaining Amazement

On Saturday afternoon I posted this tweet:

If we saw, say, lanternfish every day, do you suppose we'd become unmoved by God's creativity the way we seem to [be] with "common" things?

Maybe a lanternfish wasn't the best animal for me to have used. Lanternfish look weirdly scary. But what about a giraffe or an aardvark or a star nosed mole? (Have a look here for some really interesting-looking creatures, but don't do it while you're eating.) Are dogs not amazing, or have we simply grown so used to seeing them that we don't even think of them as incredible products of God's ineffably creative mind?

It's unfortunately normal for familiarity to dull our amazement at things which truly are amazing. But when everything in our lives begins with, ends with, and finds its definition and fulfillment in our Creator, we're daily given the privilege of seeing our world through lenses of awe. Whether we open our front door to pouring rain or a spectacular sunrise, it won't be at all unusual for us to simply stare in astonished, speechless worship of Almighty God.

The heavens proclaim the glory of God.
    The skies display his craftsmanship.
Day after day they continue to speak;
    night after night they make him known.
They speak without a sound or word;
    their voice is never heard.
Yet their message has gone throughout the earth,
    and their words to all the world.
- Psalm 19:1-4 (NLT)

2 comments:

Tony M said...

Just saying, I like this post. Too often familiarity does breed complacency or lack of awe. I think maybe this is one reason why we're seeing divorce so rampant these days - we've become accustomed to wanting "new" and "fresh" - how can a person live with the same partner for, say, 50 years? Doesn't it get boring? What about living as a Christian for 70+ years - doesn't that get old?

One word: Love. Love is the key. But I think I've gotten off topic here... sorry about that.

Redirect: I agree. We should not lose our amazement simply because we've seen it before.

John King said...

For me Everything in life is Godly.
Being Blessed to work from home due to im ill. Being guided by God to Bama has Blessed my family. I'm with Tony. Love is the key. Yes, sometimes with certain things we can take them for grantite. But God reminds us, when its broke or lost. That we really need to see the light. I've seen God through my friends at church praying for my wife. An she was saved. I've Prayed to see an hear the answer from God for Peace an understanding. So yes Dean, there are times, when even I have given up or just didnt care about that creature God put here for us. an my dog. he will be in Heaven. Even if hes bad. He has always been there 24/7 whenever I was depressed. Animals can lift a person up so much. Fun Post Dean, I love what ive seen God do. He is always there right at the perfect time.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review