Site Meter

03 June 2010

messing up your heads?

I need your help in coming up with a spiritual parallel to this real-world situation. Let me know if anything strikes you:

I recently discovered my lunchbox from fourth or fifth grade. It was covered with trading card stickers from The Empire Strikes Back. (Ah, fond memories of the time when people did not know that Darth Vader was Luke's dad.) At some point during our married life, Callie or I decided to use it for storage of some things called "cassette tapes."

I transferred a bunch of those songs to the computer and saved them as MP3 files -- digital files which won't degrade with time or suffer the same kinds of physical damage as cassette tapes. I dropped them onto my iPod and voilà! I can listen to my old tapes again!

Now, if you've listened to many cassette tapes, you're probably familiar with the way one sounds when it hits a dirty or sticky place on the tape -- it becomes muffled and broken-up sounding. For me that's always been cause for alarm, because it means the tape heads are picking up filth and garbage particles from the tape, which is horribly bad for the tape heads. After this happens the head needs a good cleaning with denatured alcohol and a cotton swab (but don't use alcohol on the rubber pinch-rollers!). CDs, as you're surely aware, don't have this problem.

I was driving home while listening to one of the songs I'd transferred, when the song got to a part where the tape had obviously been dirty or mangled. Reflexively, my hand shot for the CD player in order to eject the "tape" and save my tape heads. However, I remembered almost instantly that this sound didn't mean that my stereo was in peril. It was just an artifact from yesteryear that the MP3 faithfully reproduced.

What came to my mind as I thought about my reaction was this passage:

Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself. Share each other’s burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ.
- Galatians 6:1-2 (NLT)

Got an analogy more better than this? And does mine make any sense?

4 comments:

christy said...

I guess you are saying that it's easy to spot sin in another believer's life because we, too, sin from time to time and having confessed and repented we know what needs to be done. Having that experience/knowledge, we then can gently encourage our brother/sister to do the same. Is that what you're saying?


OR how about this one: you took your "old" stuff (the tapes) and made it "new" by putting it on the mp3 (transformed them, renewed them). When you heard something that reminded you of the "old" stuff, you reminded yourself (took the thought captive) that it's now "new" and you don't have to worry about the cleaning process anymore (we ARE forgiven, cleansed, made new in Christ).

John King said...

I like what Christy wrote alot. I had another thought as reading the post. I think Christy is right on. But I was thinking...when you hear the glitch in the new recording. That man can't fix, restore anything, perfectly. We might be able to use equalizers or dolby or other methods to clean up a recording that has been worn in a area. But to the ear. You will always hear that slight glitch since being restored. What I mean is. It will always be there. But not as bad if properly worked on to restore. So yes, if you sit down with a brother or sister. Talk about a glitch in there spritual life. Its for God we do this. The Bible says we are to sit down an discuss the issue or Glitch. We Pray they listen. An they except the Glitch Graceiously. That in itself is hard. No one wants to hear they have a glitch, unless they have a pure heart. We still need to Attempt to help fix there Glitch. An grow with Jesus. If they do this. There glitch wont be as noticed as before due to they are praying an working on it. But on the other hand. Some glitches can't be fixed. Unless the Holy Spirit is in there heart.
He who rebukes a man will find more favor afterward...Than he who flatters with the tounge...Proverbs 28:23

Dean Lusk said...

I like both of your analogies better than mine. Very good! I think Christy wrapped up my thoughts better than I would have, by the way. :-)

John King said...

A Quick follow up to my post. I was referring to myself. I have many issues in which I work on through Prayer, an by asking my Brothers & Sisters. To tell me when im wrong. I can't grow if I don't know. And I have many Glitches. Being my heart is true. I still Fail. Satin can harden your heart in a split second. Ive experinced this. An fight him daily from my Glitches.
I have been able to stop or reduce somethings in my Glitches. However, I still Fall. So when I said the person will always have a slight Glitch. That no one can be repaired to normal.This is what I meant. Its up to me, you, to help lift each other up when we fall. No one wants to fall. An we all do fall from time to time. Were Not Perfect. Does this make sense...

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review