Site Meter

23 May 2010

some Scripture for the day

The Psalms give me encouragement in a ton of different situations, whether I'm up, down, or strangely in between. I've pulled together a few verses that I was reminded of after reading the first bit of Psalm 119 today.

As I learn your righteous regulations,
I will thank you by living as I should!
- Psalm 119:7 (NLT)

Not everyone who calls out to me, "Lord! Lord!" will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter.
- Matthew 7:21 (NLT)

Then [Jesus] pointed to his disciples and said, “Look, these are my mother and brothers. Anyone who does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother!
- Matthew 12:49-50 (NLT)

But don’t just listen to God’s word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves.
- James 1:22 (NLT)

And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him. Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.
- Romans 12:1-2 (NLT)

When you come to worship me,
who asked you to parade through my courts with all your ceremony?

Stop bringing me your meaningless gifts;
the incense of your offerings disgusts me!
As for your celebrations of the new moon and the Sabbath
and your special days for fasting—
they are all sinful and false.
I want no more of your pious meetings.
. . .
Wash yourselves and be clean!
Get your sins out of my sight.
Give up your evil ways.

Learn to do good.
Seek justice.
Help the oppressed.
Defend the cause of orphans.
Fight for the rights of widows.
- Isaiah 1:12-13, 16-17

Isaiah 58:1-9 (read this passage via the link)

But at the end of the day, sometimes I realize that I've messed up. I hate to admit that there are times I intentionally move off of this path of righteousness that God has designated for me. And when I take all of those passages, and many others, into account, a very heavy weight winds up on my shoulders.

But the very next verse in Psalm 119 (along with many others, stating that if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins) makes me realize that even those who put Scripture into ink weren't immune to sin:

I will obey your decrees.
Please don’t give up on me!
- Psalm 119:8

"Please don't give up on me." Wow, I identify with that sometimes!

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review