Site Meter

30 December 2009

waking

Today's post (which shares its title with Chapter 11 of Lewis Carroll's incredible work, "Through the Looking-Glass," which reads in its entirety, "--and it really WAS a kitten, after all.") has no significance or deep implication that I'm aware of, except maybe that it's time for me to consider either replacing my eight-year-old Windows computer or getting a Mac.

I have a great little program that plays whatever MP3 I choose as an alarm every morning (today I think I had it set for Andy Williams' It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year -- I'm allowed to do Christmas until January 1, I think). However, instead of a blaring MP3 waking me up, Jesse the Cat did so by knocking something off of the dresser beside my bed. You see, on the mornings I don't get out of bed at the usual time, like, oh, Saturdays, Jesse the Cat is faithful and diligent to let me know that I should already be up and about.


Upon hearing a bottle of water and a bottle of Smucker's Caramel Sundae Syrup topple to the floor, I got up and walked over to the computer to see what time it was, and it showed 2:14 AM. Seeing light coming through the window and sensing that something was not quite right -- it didn't feel like 2:14, either -- I looked at my phone and it showed 6:32 AM. I immediately knew that there was at least a small chance that I might not make it to work at the typical time -- about 6:10.

So ends my love affair with the "automatically-updating" clock in Windows XP. Actually, such a love affair never began. This assures that it never will.

Posted during a short morning break...

3 comments:

Christy said...

Do I need to give you Dawson's marvel heroes clock? He doesn't use it anymore,and it's much cheaper than a mac.

Jan said...

I am wondering why the caramel syrup was by your computer?

Dean Lusk said...

Actually, there's an old Spider-Man clock in my son's closet. I could use it, but the knob you use to set it is broken off. I guess that'd be no different from the computer.

Jan, the caramel topping is on my nightstand because I eat chocolate chip ice cream with caramel topping at night. I've found that "refrigerate after opening" on the caramel topping is really just a suggestion. I've not died yet.

The computer, however, is on the other side of the room. It works well because I have to get up in order to turn it off. Otherwise I'd just reach over and turn it off.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review