Site Meter

19 December 2009

my favorite things

I love Christmas music, but I'm extremely picky about it. For the past month or so I've been on a quest to hunt down some of the old Christmas music that my family listened to when I was very young. I've wound up with some fantastic Christmas memories.

Currently my favorite Christmas song (I say "currently" because it fluctuates wildly) is one that comes from my childhood: "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town" as recorded by the Ray Conniff Singers, circa 1959. No, I wasn't around when the album was released, but got to enjoy it many years later. My current favorite album would have to be either Ray Conniff's classic release Christmas Caroling or Relient K's tastefully rocking Let It Snow, Baby... Let It Reindeer. (A major value at Amazon.com as a $5.00 MP3 album download -- 20 songs! Click the link on the album name.)

What's your current favorite Christmas song or CD/album?

6 comments:

Leroy said...

I really like most any Christmas song played in a big band ('40) sound.

Also love Blue Christmas from Elvis.

But most of all, probably because I can relate, is Jeff Foxworthy's Redneck 12 days of Christms. I do have some parts to a Mustang GT.

Jeff said...

Interesting read...while I personally hate Christmas music with a purple passion, I have found a small niche in my Ebenezer-Scroogin' heart for "Let it Snow Baby, Let it Reindeer." Great Album!

you said "circa" ... that makes me laugh,
-jeff

Larry Miles said...

My favorite song is Hark the Herald Angels for one phrase. "God and sinners reconciled". Perfect.

Dean Lusk said...

Elvis' version of "Blue Christmas" is the only one of that song that I like. I don't suppose you've listened to any Bob Rivers Christmas music parodies, have you, Leroy?

And Jeff... wow... You hate Christmas music? That would not be a good way to be this time of year. I guess that you can only remake a song so many different ways before it gets truly annoying.

Larry, you're not kidding. Straight to the point. By the way, I think of the Peanuts Christmas special when I think of that song. :-)

Anonymous said...

Could you comment on the phrase "God doesn't give us things that we can't handle." I have alot of trouble wrapping my brain around that...I see people with things they can't handle all the time. I would appreciate a pastor's perspective when you have time.
Thanks.

Dean Lusk said...

Thanks for that question, Anon. it's a big one. I'm using it for today's post, so head to the front page...

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review