Site Meter

02 December 2009

halo-ing not against flesh and blood

I'm not a big fan of the Halo series for the Xbox 360. I haven't played ODST, but I anticipate that its improvements wouldn't be enough to make me fall in love with the game, even though I usually enjoy a good first-person shooter.


The problem for me is that when I play Halo, I feel like I might as well be shooting Nerf ammo at the enemies. It's just me, I know, because the rest of the world loves Halo and I haven't heard anyone else complain about this. I can aim at a bad guy and unload an entire clip on him, but if he gets one or two shots in on me in the meantime, I'm dead. This seems to be a ground rule of the game. (I frequently think the game is rippin' me off.)

Some days I feel like I'm working with Nerf ammo in the battle that's not against flesh and blood, but against "evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places." (Ephesians 6:12, NLT)

It's interesting that Paul talks about putting on the armor of God so that we can resist the enemy. Only at the end of the passage does he mention an offensive weapon -- the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God. I wonder if this is because we're prone to swinging it wildly about, letting our guard down and approaching the battle without the armor of God: truth, God's righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation.

2 comments:

dubdynomite said...

If you don't like Halo (as in 2 and or 3) you'll really hate ODST.

You're not a super soldier, you're just a regular soldier (read: you die, a lot). It's frustrating.

On the main subject, I think somewhere we've gotten the wrong idea about "spiritual warfare" and who is actually doing the fighting. The scriptures say to submit yourself to God, resist the devil and he will flee from you.

To me resisting is not delivering a knockout punch. Resisting is not believing the lies and deception that the enemy throws at us, not succumbing to the temptation he uses to cause us to fail, and persevering in the midst of difficult circumstances by trusting in God's word.

Dean Lusk said...

Love what you said about Who is really doing the fighting. That's another thing I tend to forget. My assumption is that I'm not the only one who forgets this.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review