Site Meter

21 September 2009

didn't you get the memo?

I have some new propaganda... er, material that I've been working on. Upcoming posts are going to be exciting!

I think that it's a rite of passage for a blogger to make a post entitled "Changes," so I'm looking forward to that one. Timing will be somewhat of an issue, as will the organization of my thoughts. I want to give plenty of information, but not so much that you'll think I'm nuts. This happened at a meeting I had with my team last week, and I regret it. My talk should have been highly focused but I thought some brainstorming would be good. It really wasn't.

For today's post, I was reading an account of Sennacherib, king of Assyria, threatening Judah in Isaiah 37. God's message to Sennacherib says, "Yes, look at you... You've conquered surrounding kingdoms." He injects a stinging humorous comment at the end of the passage below.

Whom have you been defying and ridiculing?
Against whom did you raise your voice?
At whom did you look with such haughty eyes?
It was the Holy One of Israel!

By your messengers you have defied the Lord.
You have said, ‘With my many chariots
I have conquered the highest mountains—
yes, the remotest peaks of Lebanon.
I have cut down its tallest cedars
and its finest cypress trees.
I have reached its farthest heights
and explored its deepest forests.

I have dug wells in many foreign lands
and refreshed myself with their water.
With the sole of my foot,
I stopped up all the rivers of Egypt!’

But have you not heard?
I decided this long ago.
Long ago I planned it,
and now I am making it happen.
I planned for you to crush fortified cities
into heaps of rubble.
- Isaiah 37:23-26 (NLT)

I love the question in bold type above. I think a great modern paraphrase would be, "Didn't you get the memo?"

3 comments:

dubdynomite said...

Sarcasm is a viable form of communication. - God ("Angry Conversations with God", Susan E Isaacs).

Preston N said...

Sorta of reminds me of the sarcasm Elijah used in 1 Kings with the prophets of Baal.

1Ki 18:27)And it came to pass at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, Cry aloud; for he is a god: either he is musing, or he is gone aside, or he is on a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth and must be awaked.

The funny thing is the last part of that verse "peradventure he sleepeth...." the literal translation here is saying "has your god fell asleep on the toilet and needs to be awakened". Wow! now that's pretty sarcastic.

Jeff said...

Being that sarcasm is just one of my many gifts, I find this blog to be divisive and polarizing to good, upstanding church people. Sarcasm is hate speech used by intolerant religious people who aren't willing to accept those of us who don't believe the way they do. What is right and wrong to me may not be what is right and wrong to you, and forcing me to see how silly my thoughts are with your sarcasm causes me undue grief and pain. Libel of this nature should be stripped from the web...after all, WE LIVE IN A FREE COUNTRY!

(Am I laying it on thick enough?)

-just a humble servant

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review