Site Meter

09 September 2009

beautiful simplicity

A couple of days ago I was in my back yard looking around at nature -- a sprawling field, stinking cows (literally stinking -- I have no problem with cows otherwise), the blue sky, clouds, things like that. There was a gentle breeze blowing, and all was right with the world.

I looked up and in the distance I saw a large bird in the air over the house next door, slowly soaring my direction. The bird turned out to be a hawk, and I watched as it spread its wings out and floated majestically on the wind. Occasionally it would whisk its wings through the air once or twice to stay aloft, and it eventually reached the airspace above our yard.

The hawk made a large, ambling circle in the air over our front yard. I watched to see when it would beat its wings against the air again, and this was surprisingly infrequent. It made another large circle over our house and front yard.

As I watched this creature with its majestic command of the air, my first thought was, "Wow, that's beautiful." My second thought was, "I wonder what died in my front yard, 'cuz this thing is acting like a buzzard."

I'm sure this is an internal defense mechanism of some sort, but I chuckled at myself for trying to assign a reason, negative in this case (which is often what the way it works, unfortunately), to something that's simple and beautiful.

1 comments:

Christy said...

I don't THINK Hawks go for dead things. He was probably waiting for you to let Buddy the Christmas Puppy out of the house.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review