Site Meter

27 July 2009

Sunday's Music - July 26, 2009

It's a big week for Fred McKinnon's Sunday Setlists "blog carnival"! This is the one-year anniversary, and it's proven to be a fantastic way for those in music leadership to share what's going on in their church fellowships. Great work, Fred! Thanks for the opportunity to be a part of it!

In an effort to get this posted Monday, I'm going to forego links. You probably won't need them for this post, anyhow.

We had a group (William Clayton and the Redeemed -- I highly recommend them) scheduled to play for the PM service, so I scheduled them to play a couple of songs in each morning service. Over the weekend I felt that I needed to pull a song out of our already-shortened list. I wanted to allow the group and Pastor Lee ample time during the service.

It was a head-to-head between "Mighty to Save" (Hillsong) and "Jesus Saves" (the traditional hymn). Personally, I wanted to do "Mighty to Save," but for some reason after I'd prayed quite a bit, I had no doubt that we needed to sing "Jesus Saves", so that's what we did. Here's our music from Sunday:

- Happy Day - Fee
- Jesus Saves - traditional
- Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone) - traditional/Chris Tomlin

Then William Clayton and the Redeemed led two songs (one in the second service) of massively celebratory praise. I can't begin to explain it with words. I have to admit that I was a little apprehensive in the days leading up to Sunday, because our membership is white by a massive percentage. I love black Gospel music, but wasn't sure that our people would embrace it as much as I do. My apprehension was totally unfounded. Those guys let it go! It was huge. What a morning!

I can't remember the last time I so freely celebrated God. It was unbelievably good to be with the Church yesterday.

3 comments:

Windbag said...

I haven't heard "Jesus Saves" in a long time. That's way cool.

Fred McKinnon said...

Dean,
Thanks a ton for the graphic! Also, I love that you brought in those guys. Our church is probably 99% white, middle to upper class ... and when we pull out some black gospel tunes, they go nuts. I think a steady diet of it would get old, but as specials and visits, they LOVE it!

steff said...

Sounds like a great day Dean! We haven't done Happy Day but I think it would be a lot of fun.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review