Site Meter

31 May 2009

Sunday's Music - May 31, 2009

Wow. I'm really behind on digging into my co-laborers' Sunday Setlists lately. Seems like I've either been busy or studying on a personal quest that I hope to be blogging about soon. I will remedy that tomorrow after getting some sun! Monday is my off-day. You guys will be working and I'll be soaking up rays. Heh heh...

That being said, here's what Sunday saw at Wall Highway.

Our team today:
John on drums
David on congas and percussion
Anna on keyboard and piano
George on bass
Christy (visit her blog here) on vocals
Callie (my lovely wife) on vocals
Josh on acoustic guitar and vocals
Me on electric guitar and vocals

We had slightly longer music time today, and I hope that we didn't leave Pastor Lee Singley too little time. I don't believe we did, because he hit the nail squarely on the head in the three minutes we left him. :-) Actually, we did well on time. We went for about 30 minutes.

The Pre-Teen choir opened the service with Stephen Curtis Chapman's Dive (my daughter had the solo on verse 2! Check out her blog here) and Audio Adrenaline's Big House. Fantastic group of kids, and great direction by director Doug!

It's Time for the Reign of God (Brian Doerksen / Steve Mitchinson) - key of E - Week two of this new song. The congregation seems to "own" this song as much as I do. Very powerful and energizing song about the kingdom of God and the purpose of the Church.

Lord, Reign in Me (Brenton Brown) - key of A - A personal favorite because of the lyrics. I always wonder if the melody is too simple, though, to communicate the sincerity of the words. Does that make any sense?

You Are God Alone (Not a God) (Billy Foote) - key of A/B - Not sure I can elaborate on this one past what the words say. Phenomenal.

I Stand Amazed in the Presence (Traditional) - key of E - In reflection of the songs we'd sung to this point, we closed our congregational music with the chorus to this hymn. I rather regret that we didn't sing the first verse and the fourth verse, in particular.

Your Grace Still Amazes Me (Connie Harrington / Shawn Craig) - key of C - The Sanctuary Choir special music; Christy had the first verse with Josh backing her up. The choir did an unbelievable (in a good way) job technically, and their worship was contagious.

During the offering, our drama team, UpStage, headed by @jejily (Twitter user name) and Susan, presented an original choreographed interpretive movement piece to Nicole Nordiman's Holy. Beautiful! Kaitlyn, a recently-graduated senior, was the vocalist.

It was a great day! And if Dr. Robby Newton gives me permission, I hope to post the slides from his teaching in the PM service: "Evangelism 2.0 - Why Your Friends Aren't Into Your Faith". Sobering stuff. And @dasnoopy (Twitter user name) led music in the PM. He is definitely a natural; he's a worshipper off stage and he's a great vocalist (and one of our drummers).

This is, once again, part of the inimitable Fred McKinnon's brainchild, Sunday Setlists. This is week 45!

3 comments:

David said...

"I’m diving in, I’m going deep in over
my head, I want to be
Caught in the rush, lost in the flow,
in over my head, I want to go
The river’s deep, the river’s wide,
the river’s water is alive
So sink or swim, I’m diving in"

Sorry, can't resist singing that one. We've not done it in church though. Hmmm.

Glad you left your Ps Lee a little bit of time to preach too ;)

And I totally get what you mean about the simple melody/sincere lyric dichotomy. I think musicians struggle with this much more than the general population...and in fact, provided it's not trite, a simpler melody can be perceived as being more sincere. If that makes sense.

Windbag said...

Solid list. The song on my setlist Sing Unto the Lord a Brand New Song is one of those anonymous ones. My sister-in-law brought it back from a YWAM conference about ten years or so ago. I have no idea who wrote it, if it's ever been recorded, or any of its history.

I love Lord, Reign in Me. Slightly longer music times are great, aren't they? I'm blessed to be in a situation where we have a history of worship taking over the service, and never getting to the sermon. I'm free to do that anytime. The pastor is totally committed to following the Spirit and is groovy with not having to preach.

steff said...

Unchangeable, Unshakable, Unstoppable, that’s what You are. I agree the lyrics to You are God alone are phenomenal!
Sounds like a great service. Isn't it great to see your kids involved in worship? Love it!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review