Site Meter

27 May 2009

The String Theory

Yes, I'm into stuff that "normal" people might call weird, like the actual String Theories, but I'm going mainstream here.

A couple of days ago I noticed that one of the household animals (my daughter blogs about them here) had removed the string from yet another hoodie that was sitting somewhere it shouldn't have been sitting.

Like an old person, I picked the cloth string up and threw it away. Almost immediately I thought, "If I were a kid, I would have taken that string with me to get an action figure to start playing." Really, I used to take sticks, boxes, plastic stuff, and one of the Holy Grails of useless stuff -- string -- and imagine them into tools for adventure. Don't get me started on the little red plastic swords.

But now that I'm older and wiser, I realize that all that stuff is just a dumb waste of time.

I'm curious as to whether or not that unadventurous mindset is impacting me in negative ways as I follow Christ. What would I do if I valued my own personal safety less, for instance? Sure, I could go overboard, but I believe at some point I started putting limits on what I'd do for the sake of Christ.

If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it.
- Matthew 16:25 (NLT)

I've decided to go back to little child-dom where that's concerned. I'm interested in seeing if "reckless abandon" is something that God will use.

3 comments:

Leroy said...

Reckless abandon WITH a little common sense, please. Think wasp and trash can... :)

Christy said...

Do you have something specific in mind?

Dean Lusk said...

Shut up, you big stupid-face!

There. How was that?

:-)

Seriously, I'll post something specific when I have a little more time than just now.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review