Site Meter

23 April 2009

Sarcasm and the Church Leader

Last Sunday our senior pastor had a survey inserted into the bulletin (the hand-out that everyone receives as they're on the way to sit down for the service). Some of the questions had answers that weren't terribly uplifting, but most were written with a gentle attitude, even when the words weren't particularly what I wanted to hear.

One of the responses that has stuck with me the most was in answer to a question that I can't exactly remember. The response went something like this: "It comes across as a little offensive when Dean and Pastor Lee say to the people at the 9:30 service, 'Smile at me and then you can go back to what you're doing.' Many of us do come with joyful hearts." (That's a major paraphrase, since I don't have the responses with me.)

Yes, I do say things like this, and you know what? I can certainly understand why something like that comes across as hurtful. Part of my personality leads me to inject a little sarcasm here and there, and I'm not sure if that's terribly wise. My hope is that people will be able to see themselves a little more clearly in phrases that might be different from what "normal" lead worshippers might say. But today I thought about this verse:

Some people make cutting remarks,
    but the words of the wise bring healing.
- Proverbs 12:18, NLT

On a related note, I've been studying and was planning on preaching a message this coming Sunday based on a draft blog post I wrote the other day. It was a pretty scathing message to the Church, and I've had some wise and helpful input and correction from several friends on that writing. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed when God led me in a slightly different direction for the message.

As a preview, my message for Sunday is shaping up to use 2 Chronicles 34 and Revelation 2:1-7 as the foundational Scriptures. I'm interested in knowing if you find any parallels between the people in those passages and the modern Church.

2 comments:

Christy said...

I'll have to read those later and get back to you. Unfortunately, it might not be before Sunday. Not, that it matters, but just so you'll know.

FudgeRecipe said...

Wise words. Kudos on being able to accept and implement constructive criticism.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review