Site Meter

14 March 2009

Guest Post - Do You See What I See?

This is a second (rather than a first). Hopefully it won't be the last. Frequent commenter Leroy is today's Guest Blogger; a position previously only held by Bill Fowler. I'd like to hear from you if you're interested in being a contributor. Just send me an e-mail and we'll get the ball rolling.

And now, on to the crunchy goodness of Leroy's post!

But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does.
- James 1:22-25, NKJV

One of the requirements over my career has been travel. I've traveled to several parts of the U.S. and the world and I still get the opportunity. As I've grown in my faith, I've become more and more aware of who I am and how I want others to perceive me. I am a Christian, a Christ-follower if you prefer, a Jesus-freak I dare say. It's easy for me to be a Christian when I'm at home because I have my typical routine that involves my immediate family and my Church family (to include some friends at work). Instant accountability wherever I go!

But what about when I'm gone; would people still see me as a Christian? On occasion my trips take me somewhere I've never been and I end up surrounded by people I've never seen. Do these people see the same thing my family sees when I'm home in my comfort zone? I think so. Does it even matter what these strangers see? Absolutely. The Word calls us to live the Christian life accordingly, not just say it. If we don't walk our talk, we deceive the people around us, including ourselves.

You may not travel much, if any, but you still end up in strange places surrounded by strangers. Places like the grocery store, the movie theater, and the restaurant. It could even be a non-strange place surrounded by non-strangers such as our church fellowships. Regardless of your situation or the places you end up, do others recognize you as who you say you are?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't want you to feel left out with no comments, so I'll comment. :) Living overseas right now, I've been thinking about and convicted about the same thing. At home, people know I'm a Christian, but is it because of my actions or because they just know? I wonder at times if people here, 1 - see that I'm different, and 2 - know that it is because of my relationship with God. I've become more focused on watching myself and my behaviors. I've also had lots to think about after Dean's "suffering" post. :)

Thanks for the post!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review