Site Meter

10 March 2009

Barefoot 'n' Naked

"The Lord told Isaiah son of Amoz, 'Take off the burlap you have been wearing, and remove your sandals.' Isaiah did as he was told and walked around naked and barefoot. Then the Lord said, 'My servant Isaiah has been walking around naked and barefoot for the last three years. This is a sign—a symbol of the terrible troubles I will bring upon Egypt and Ethiopia.'" (Isaiah 20:2-3, NLT)

You know, as much as it pains me to say it, and as much as I believe I'm completely sold out to God, I'm not totally sure I'd be willing to do this. How about you? And all of this -- three years of running around naked -- just so that Isaiah could be an object lesson.

Matter of fact, it would be difficult for me to be convinced that God was telling me to do something so obviously crazy (or something similar, adjusted for current laws regarding indecent exposure).

5 comments:

Tony M said...

Makes me wonder how many times we have convinced ourselves that, "Surely God isn't telling me to do that!"

Kind of reminds me of your post I'd Like to KEEP My Stuff, Thankyouverymuch. God wouldn't really want me to give everything, would He?

I guess it all comes down to pride and idolatry: putting anything between you and God (i.e., before God). (Pride, of course, can be counted as a form of idolatry: putting yourself before God.) Funny: our pastor was speaking on Pride (among other things) just this past Sunday, and we've discussed it some during our nightly family Bible reading. Or maybe not funny; maybe, just maybe, it was meant to drive home the point (for me).

I guess the question is: where would you (or I) draw the line when God speaks? I know it's easy to say, "Oh, I'd do anything that god asked me to do," but would you really? I guess question number two is: are you listening?

It's easy to die for Christ; it's much harder (in our selfish, prideful flesh) to live for Him. Maybe that's the "crazy" thing He's asking from us: just to be [His] witnesses, right where we happen to be, in the middle of our lives, our workplaces, our schools, our churches (yes, I said it: be a witness for Christ even in your local church fellowship!), on our playgrounds and ball fields, on the interstate (ouch, now I'm getting personal!), in our houses and neighborhoods...

Christy said...

Did Callie tell you that at 1st Friday we talked about when God tells us to do crazy things?

Dean Lusk said...

That statement is very accurate: It's easy (okay, maybe not so easy) to die for Christ; it's much harder to live for Him.

It's also worth a double-take when someone (like I) says, "I'd do anything that God asked me to" when they're talking about discerning what God wants them to do specifically. We can barely seem to do many of the things that we're ALL directly instructed to do.

Christy, nope... Believe it or not, she didn't! Or at least, I don't think she did. Friday is pretty much a haze.

Leroy said...

Purple? Heh, heh...

Leroy said...

"We can barely seem to do many of the things that we're ALL directly instructed to do."

That, too, and unfortunately, is a very accurate statement.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review