Site Meter

25 January 2009

Sunday's Music - January 25

Thanks to FredMcKinnon for igniting the "Sunday Setlists" fire! Today's post is part of the Sunday Setlist Blog Carnival! Download links below go to Amazon.com where applicable, and traiditonal music typically links to CyberHymnal.org.

Today's primary theme in the music was keeping our faith in God strong, based on Who He is and what we have known Him to do.

Savior (Ross Parsley / Matthew Fallentine) - key of A - Our second week for this song. It's become a favorite.

All Things Are Possible (Darlene Zschech) - key of C/D - An old faithful song. Fantastic participation in singing this song during both services.

Shout to the North (Martin Smith) - key of G - Another old favorite. I believe that it was Jan Owen who introduced me to this song several years ago. Oddly, I hadn't heard it in the 10 or so years since it had been released. I had the men sing verse one ("Men of faith, rise up and sing...") and the ladies verse two ("Rise up women of the truth..."). I love those songs where the men and women sing different things, either one at a time or together. We do it much like the Delirious? version. Wish I had that accent. :)

All the Way My Savior Leads Me (Fanny Crosby / Robert Lowry) - key of G - Once again, an opportunity to look at an odd old photo if you click the link. One of our choir members noted that the second line of verse two was really cool -- God cheers our path. Not that He cheers us up, but that He cheers us on. I thought that was a fantastic perspective!

Spirit of the Living God (Daniel Iverson) - key of G - Our choir special music. I was unaware that this song, which is an older traditional one, is still under copyright protection. A great prayer to offer up continually: "Spirit of the living God, fall fresh on me."

3 comments:

dorothy (vicar of vibe) said...

What an interesting blend of vintage and new.

steff said...

Wow! You did have a great blend of old and new. I've been listening to "Savior" since you suggested it last week. Thanks for suggesting it.

David Lindner said...

We have only introduced 5-10 new songs over the course of 2008. However, I'm thinking we're going to do more than that this year. I don't know for sure how much yet.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review