Site Meter

19 December 2008

Least Favorite Christmas Carols

I've talked to several people who don't love Christmas music as much as I do, and while I think there may be some deep-seated bad experiences with Santa Claus in their past or something, I sorta get it, if only because there are some Christmas songs that I really dislike.

There are not many of them, but those I detest, I detest quite well. Here they are:

Traditional:
- "O Tannenbaum" (I dislike this one so much that I've never bothered to investigate what exactly a "tannenbaum" is; we have to assume it's a Christmas tree, spoken in a prehistoric and very ugly language.)
- "Go Tell It On the Mountain" (Ugh! Black gospel is the only genre in which this song has even a remote chance at redemption.)

Modern:
- Whichever song it is that that young country music singer tortures through her nose and throat. If I try to think of the title it'll be going through my head all day.
- "Christmas Shoes" (AAAAH! Make it go away!)

General Runner-Up:
- "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus"

What about you?

10 comments:

Christy said...

Anything George Michael sings, and this year "Santa Baby" b/c I keep hearing a rendition that is song by a GUY! That's just wrong! I've still yet to hear my FAVORITE secular Christmas song - "I Want a Hippopatamus for Christmas". =0)

Craig said...

I have to say my LEAST favorite of all time is "The Redneck Twelve Days if Christmas"...I also am so over the Annie Lennox version of Winter Wonderland...somebody make it stop. I love the 80's, but that one should've stayed there!!!

Dean Lusk said...

Oooooh! I forgot about the Annie Lennox version of "Winter Wonderland." Yeah, it should definitely have been in my post. Anything by Stevie Nicks should be in there, too.

I avoided putting "Hippopotamus" in my list, even though I don't like it a whole lot. My daughter and nieces love that song, so I feel duty-bound to not hate it.

Anonymous said...

Anything sung by "Larry the drunken lounge lizard"... the loungy music stuff that sounds like smarm. AUGH.

Connie Y

Timothy Patrick said...

Ugh, I did not care for "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" nor "All I want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth" but the one that rings out the most even above "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa" is the Barking Dogs Jingle Bells. I guess it was because it seem to always come on the radio (good old AM 1230 WBHP in them old days) and the sound of those dogs barking from that crummy little speaker in my dads Chevitte. Atari anyone?

Anonymous said...

This was e-mailed to me, so I assume that the commenter wishes to remain anonymous. I forgot about this song, and since I agree, I thought t comment hewas worth posting.
- Dean


I can most certainly and with no noticeable hesitation add "Grown-Up Christmas List" by Amy Grant - there is no WORSE song in the history of holiday music, even though it isn't technically a "carol."

And to top it all off, it drips with cheese, too.

Steve said...

I like it when mommy kisses Santa Claus. :)

Steve said...

My wife says I should add "And the little red outfit is good, too."

Tony M said...

Guess I'm late commenting on this one, but 1) I was gone all day the 19th (as in I had to meet the other guys from work at 5:30 at McDonald's to head to Tyndall AFB in Panama City and didn't return until after 6:00); 2) Saturday was my birthday and I did nothing all day, which included going to my parents' place in the afternoon and out to dinner with them that night; 3) I'm only now getting around to checking my reading list.

But I have to agree: "Christmas Shoes" makes me change the radio station when it comes on.

Jeff said...

OK, so I emailed Dean my "Grown-up Christmas List" comment, because I get his blog in my email and I was lazy. I will, however, take full credit for that one.
:-)

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review