Site Meter

19 December 2008

Arrogance for Jesus

It isn't very often that I write a post about my personal life. At least, not one of those "confess your faults" posts. This is one of those.

Here's what I haven't been doing: I haven't taken shots at anyone in particular. I haven't been speaking or thinking badly about anyone. I haven't been thinking condescendingly about any specific person or idea.

It's a really good thing to be secure in your walk with Christ. It's not so good, however, when you feel like you've hit the main power line with God but maybe some people around you haven't (and for those of you who know me personally, no, I'm not talking about you -- this is not a post about some specific situation). There are some things that are immovable; factual; things that leave no room for question or opinion. But there have been some areas lately where I believe I've thought in the back of my mind that since I've been spending a good deal of time with God, I must know the right answer in almost any situation where there's a question. I'm not talking about leadership decisions. A leader has to be certain that he's heard from God and that it's important to move forward even if it's not the most popular thing to do. I'm talking about the attitude that simply says, "I am right."

And man, oh, man, that can be big-time arrogant, because in order to come up with that thought, most often the underlying assumption has to be that others haven't been spending as much time with God -- that surely they aren't as "enlightened" as I. And with that line of thinking, although I hadn't put it into so many words or thoughts until just now, I'm violating Scriptures like 1 Corinthians 13:4 and Philippians 2:3 (a verse I seem to reference here about every three or four posts).

I think this attitude may be rampant in the Church, but even that idea kicks the superiority complex back into high gear and perpetuates the "I am right" cycle. Today is the day I confess my participation in it, ask for forgiveness, and move on in the other direction. It isn't fun to confess your faults, but there you have it.

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review