Site Meter

07 November 2008

Treat This Like It's Mine!

You know the old saying, "Treat that [thing that you're borrowing] as if it were your own"? I'm sure some of you have adopted the slightly different version, as I have, when loaning your stuff to someone: "Treat that thing as if it were someone else's." A lot of people just don't take good care of their things, and if I'm loaning, say, an expensive guitar to someone, by golly, I want them to treat it better than they'd treat their own expensive guitar.

That's what I was reminded of as I read through a little more of Francis Chan's book Crazy Love last night.

I've typically approached life with the mindset that I'm essentially being Jesus Christ to people with whom I come in contact (link goes to an older post called "How Do I Look?"). The Bible says we're the body of Christ, and it's upon that that I base this mindset. However, when I read one particular sentence, I raised my eyebrows and thought, "Hmmm," in spite of the fact that Jesus said that when you help the poor or feed the hungry, you're doing that to Him. Not sure why, but I never thought of it quite this way:

My suggestion as you think, make decisions, and discern how God would have you live is to ask yourself, "Is this the most loving way to do life? Am I loving my neighbor and my God by living where I live, by driving what I drive, by talking how I talk?" I urge you to consider and actually live as though each person you come in contact with is Christ. [emphasis mine]

If, as the Word says, we're to esteem others more highly than ourselves and to love our neighbor as ourselves, this is a great point. Preston commented yesterday that speaking about hell is probably one of the most loving things we can do for a person, and I agree, so don't necessarily think that I'm recommending we start doing the Precious Moments warm 'n' fuzzy thing with everyone all the time (although that's going to apply sometimes).

2 comments:

Dean Lusk said...

Hopefully it went without saying in the post that I'm not suggesting that we think of everyone as God. You know what I mean...

Angela Ralston said...

Hi, I’ve noticed that you’ve blogged about Crazy Love, by Francis Chan. Just wanted you to know that the videos to accompany the book are now available to download at:
http://www.crazylovebook.com/videos

Also, a Crazy Love small group dvd with never-before-seen content will be available in January. Because of your wonderful blog post about the book, I’d like to offer you a free pre-release copy of the dvd to review. Please email me your address, and I’d be happy to send it. Thanks!

Angela.Ralston@davidccook.com

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review