Site Meter

06 November 2008

Surrendering to a Sacrificial Life

I think some friends (and maybe relatives) are getting the impression that I'm going off the deep end, but God has really been shaping my thoughts and focus (or foci) lately in a way that's different from what I've ever allowed Him to do. And the deep end, therefore, is a nice place to go off of. Safe-feeling? Not really. But if God's there, that's where I want to be.

A question I've been asking myself lately (and one that I want you to ask yourself if you're a Christ-follower) is this: "What am I personally, actively doing that is evidence that my love for Jesus Christ is more than a passive thought?" I have to be honest with you: I've not been too happy with the answer I had. For all the things that I do from day to day as a Christ-follower, husband, dad, and worship pastor, I don't know if I could totally say that I've actively been living a James 1:22 kind of life and presenting myself to God as a living sacrifice -- laying down comforts to intentionally embrace what is usually discomfort for the sake of Jesus Christ.

1 John 3:17-19 (NLT) says this: "We know what real love is because Jesus gave up his life for us. So we also ought to give up our lives for our brothers and sisters. If someone has enough money to live well and sees a brother or sister in need but shows no compassion—how can God's love be in that person? Dear children, let's not merely say that we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions. Our actions will show that we belong to the truth, so we will be confident when we stand before God."

Your "mission field" is likely to be different from mine, but I guarantee you that it's out there -- today. Could be right in front of you, but it might be way, way out of your comfort zone. And you know what? It could be terrifying.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Kewpie doll to Dean...
and if we can't figure out how to authentically love like Christ...no one is going to listen to us anymore as a church...
I am struggling with that RIGHT NOW. I am not doing enough in my community for them to care what I have to say about the living God, and it scares me.
-jeff

Leroy said...

GOING off the deep end??! Gone brother, gone. Ha, ha, ha!! Hmm, I'm part of the company you keep. I might better pipe down. :)

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review