Site Meter

13 November 2008

Fall Reading List

As I noted in a comment yesterday, I've been reading a number of books lately. This is something that I used to do but really haven't found (or made) time to do in the past couple of years. The last book I read, I believe, was The Creator and the Cosmos: How the Greatest Scientific Discoveries of the Century Reveal God by Dr. Hugh Ross.

The ones I've been reading have been smacking me right in the face. First there was Not the Religious Type: Confessions of a Turncoat Atheist (a good, fast, and enjoyable read; one I highly recommend), and I hope to contribute to Dave Smelzer's blog as soon as I can find the time (and if he finds my guest commentary worthy).

Another one I've been reading for quite a while and should have finished in two days but didn't, is one I've blogged about a number of times: Francis Chan's Crazy Love. I wound up giving this book away to a friend who just met Christ, so I didn't finish it, but I'm going to buy another copy. Again, a book that I highly recommend. Francis Chan says things that seem simple, but I scratch my head or start blubbing (or "weeping," as all good Christians must say, according to the rule book) and think, "Oh, wow. Why haven't I thought about this before?!"

Then there's Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us, by Seth Godin. I'm about 3/5 of the way into this one, and so far it's one long (and good) pep talk. And it's really eye-opening. It phrases many of the things in the other two books in ways that don't include a relationship with Jesus Christ. It's just good, motivational reading. I'm kinda hoping it will change its tone before the end.

(Someone remind me to tell you what I used to think about the theme song for "Zoom," a PBS show in the 70's. In the same way that I wish Seth Godin would reveal "the magic formula," I used to think that show would do something similar.)

Finally, I received Dr. David Jeremiah's book What in the World Is Going On? (10 Prophetic Clues You Cannot Afford to Ignore) in the mail today. I have to review it here in at least 250 words, and then I'll get another free book from Thomas Nelson Publishers to review (great little blogger review program they started last month!). It is not what I'd normally read. I'm thinking I should probably be intimidated, because I know I'm going to be offering up some criticisms of a doctor's work. Yay. But someone's got to hold their feet to the fire. :)

So that's it for now. One thing that I've learned is that, if I want to write a book, I'd better think of a subtitle for it. And long is okay.

3 comments:

Preston N said...

I must say I will be interested in reading your review of Dr. Jeremiah's book. I am a little skeptic when it comes to these "prophetic books" as most hinge on a person's particular interpretation of scripture rather than using sound hermeneutics. Case and point is I read John Hagee's book "Countdown to Jerusalem" about two years ago. I bought the book on a whim. What I now find very amusing about this book is almost everything Hagee predicted would happen hasn't! Unfortunately for him, he gave some very specific prophecies of particular events and the calendar came and went and alas nada, zip, zero.

Why is it we as Christians don't go back to these men and as you said hold their feet to the fire? Interestingly enough, Hagee actually now has a "Revised and Updated" version of his book which I find very interesting considering this was somewhat of a prophetic book......

Christy said...

Sorry to point this out, but you typed "addord to ignore" instead of "afford".

Dean Lusk said...

I did not, and you can't prove it!

:) Ah... thanks. And welcome back!

Preston, I've already hit a little bit of what you're talking about. That's one of the reasons I typically don't read books like this. It's not too bad, though, and speculation is addressed as just that: speculation.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review