Site Meter

11 October 2008

Catalyst - Final Post

Immediately after Catalyst was over, there was a long line to get audio CDs of the event. Many next-gen minister-types (mostly the cool ones with those thick, black unisex glasses and bed-head hair) casually cut in line.

I wanted to yell at the amazingly long line of people, "The MEEK will inherit the earth! Not obnoxious people who take advantage of situations for their own benefit."

Sure, this is arguably "little." Sure, I obsess. But jeepers, not doing this is one of the lessons each of these guys should have learned at the start of their walk with Christ. And they should have kept at it. What this scenario tells me is that these folks value themselves and their own convenience over that of others. And they casually laughed and joked with one another as they slipped into line, ignoring their self-love. Yay. That poured the salt on. And we had just gotten out of a conference telling us how to be genuine, Christ-loving, others-centered leaders.

To be totally honest, this is the primary kind of thing that had me really disliking the Church several years ago: hypocrisy. I don't make that statement lightly, and I've dealt with that whole issue of hate -- it's quite easy to fall into (when we focus on others) but not easy to let go of (as we focus on Christ).

My admonishment to you: don't do this kind of thing, whether you think someone is watching you or not!

"And since I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other’s feet. I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you." (John 13:14-15, NLT)

"So those who are last now will be first then, and those who are first will be last." (Matthew 20:16, NLT)

7 comments:

Christy said...

Let me be the bad guy here. Isn't being upset over someone cutting in line about the same as doing the cutting? Aren't you still upset that your convenience was hindered? I'm assuming, of course, that you were standing in line, but you very well could have been only observing, if so, then my point is moot! Of course I don't like line cutters, either, but that's where my initial point came from (Doh! ended with a preposition). It only perturbs me because I'm then farther back in line myself. See how that works?

Dean Lusk said...

You're absolutely right! Matter of fact, I had typed in acknowledgement of that, and the fact that it was my responsibility to let go of any resentment.

I didn't include that in the post because it led into a whole different direction (and I'd have gotten away with it, too, if it hadn't been for those meddling commenters). :)

So yes, I agree and think you're right. I believe that's how this whole "unity" thing works in the body of Christ.

Dean Lusk said...

You're absolutely right! Matter of fact, I had typed in acknowledgement of that, and the fact that it was my responsibility to let go of any resentment.

I didn't include that in the post because it led into a whole different direction (and I'd have gotten away with it, too, if it hadn't been for those meddling commenters). :)

So yes, I agree and think you're right. I believe that's how this whole "unity" thing works in the body of Christ.

Leroy said...

Whoa, just had a bad flash back to Duran, Duran...you know "the group so nice they had to name it twice". Ewww, nasty. Anyway, thanks for the double post there Dean to lead me down that dark path. :)

beth said...

This post made me put you in my reader. I appreciate your honesty here.

Have a great day.

Preston N said...

Something to consider here. This is like many Christians who say "Who are you to judge me?" or "Christians aren't supposed to judge". In fact this is highly unbiblical and unloving NOT to judge - especially a person who is claiming to be a fellow Christian. What most people get confused with, is not that we aren't supposed to judge, but that when we do judge we judge rightly and not hypocritically. I think Dean did the right thing here and that is call a spade a spade. In fact we should be more upset at a person who claims to be a Christian and is a hypocrite than just a common sinner or non-believer. Hypocrites do a great injustice to the Kingdom and gives sinners another excuse that Christianity is nothing more than a bunch of hypocrites.

Dean Lusk said...

Beth: thank you so much! Welcome aboard! (Or something like that!)

Christy and Preston: I think you both have valid points. As I consider my post, I really think I shouldn't have painted the trendy worship leaders in a sarcastic light (while I don't have those thick black glasses, I do like using bed head hair product). :) I think that betrayed my frustration and my own self-centeredness. You know -- the way Christy called me self-centered. :)

It would have been more loving of me, and more Christ-like, to have approached them and simply asked if they knew that they should go to the back of the line. It is possible that they were just getting in line to hang out with their friends; all of them part of one group.

I short, I shouldn't assume that my take on appearances are always correct (nor should you), and I should consider how to help in these sorts of situations rather than complain about things from the vantage point of a blog.

I still think that they were wrong, though.

:)

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review