Site Meter

24 September 2008

Squishy Floating Cat Food

I'm a very humane, tolerant pet owner. I let Jesse the Cat walk on my stomach even though it hurts, I let him scratch his face against my goatee, and things like that. I get upset with him only when he bites and claws my ankles (which is usually a cry for attention) or attacks things with wires (like game controllers or speakers).

I was giving Jesse the Cat some food and water the other day and noticed that there were some mostly unappetizing chunks of food (the once-dry kind) floating around in the water dish.

(I need to make an aside here to note that I'm one of those people who thinks that dog food smells really good and cat food smells pretty good, so when I say "mostly unappetizing," it comes from the standpoint of actually thinking that it could potentially be good-tasting if one were really, really hungry.)

Rather than putting fresh water in with the disgusting floating catfoodbergs, I did the humane thing and emptied the dish and wiped it out, then filled it with fresh water.

I think that filling the water dish with good water without cleaning out the spongy chunks of food would be similar a couple of things: 1) a Christian attempting to clean up his act by doing good things without going to the source of the problem, 2) a person who points to the problems of others without caring, or maybe even noticing, that he is personally riddled with sin.

Jesus said this:

"What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are so careful to clean the outside of the cup and the dish, but inside you are filthy—full of greed and self-indulgence! You blind Pharisee! First wash the inside of the cup and the dish, and then the outside will become clean, too.

"What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs—beautiful on the outside but filled on the inside with dead people’s bones and all sorts of impurity. Outwardly you look like righteous people, but inwardly your hearts are filled with hypocrisy and lawlessness." (Matthew 23:25-28, NLT)

You know what? Jesus said these words to the religious leaders; those people who supposedly set the standard for others to follow. We in the Church see ourselves as the standard for others to follow, don't we? How often do Jesus' words apply directly to us?

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review