Site Meter

25 August 2008

Tap Water Coffee

In an effort to save money yet maintain our addiction to coffee, my wife and I recently purchased a regular coffee maker. The pods for our single-cup maker wind up being expensive. Also, we recently removed the water purifier from our kitchen faucet for the sake of looks, and replaced it with a pitcher which filters water.

This morning I poured the last of the purified water into the coffee maker and, as a result of impatience, filled the coffee maker the rest of the way (about 7 cups' worth) with tap water. An eternity of minutes later (a drawback of a coffee maker), the morning haze was broken not by the taste of good, strong coffee, but of a nasty metallic sort of taste that came from the tap water.

The ingredients apparently make a difference.

In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus speaks of the fact that seemingly bad ingredients can actually result in good. You all probably know about this. For example, "God blesses those who are humble, for they will inherit the whole earth." (Matthew 5:5, NLT)

But shortly after that, He says, "But I warn you—unless your righteousness is better than the righteousness of the teachers of religious law and the Pharisees, you will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven!" (Matthew 5:20, NLT)

All the good works (strong coffee grounds) in the whole world will not make up for selfish or grudging motivation (tap water).

I seem to always get back to obedience and surrender. This is not partial stuff we're to do. There are no shortcuts. "Lord, I freely surrender some of these bits and pieces of my life to You. As I hang onto these others for the time being, please be glorified in my life." Betcha that won't work.

2 comments:

Christy said...

Unfortunately, I'm sure the more you drink the tap water coffee, the less bitter/metallic it will taste to you, and soon it will seem good enough. I say 'unfortunately' because while you could pay a higher price for the pods/filtered water and have better coffee (we pay a higher price for living righteously), it's easier and less expensive to get used to the tap water coffee (it's not easy living righteously). OK, so I'm not as good as you are at drawing spiritual pictures. I try - *sigh*.

Dean Lusk said...

So you're saying that the more we do things with an improper motivation, we'll get used to it and the more normal it'll seem?

I think you're great at drawing spiritual pictures! :-) That was actually a very good clarification and expansion of the point.

Off-topic, I've learned that although I've always thought I'm not very self-indulgent, I'm willing to pay a higher price for a convenience factor and repeatable results. The pods are easy, very quick, and each cup of joe typically tastes exactly like the one before it.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review