Site Meter

29 August 2008

On Being a Movie Extra

I'm a few chapters into Francis Chan's book, "Crazy Love." He does a phenomenal job of putting our lives into proper perspective with these paragraphs:

"I am still dumb enough to forget that life is all about God and not about me at all.

"It goes sort of like this...

"Suppose you are an extra in an upcoming movie. You will probably scrutinize that one scene where hundreds of people are milling around, just waiting for that two-fifths of a second when you can see the back of your head. Maybe your mom and your closest friend get excited about that two-fifths of a second with you ... maybe. But no one else will realize it is you. Even if you tell them, they won't care.

"Let's take it a step further. What if you rent out the theater on opening night and invite all your friends and family to come see the new movie about you? People will say, 'You're an idiot! How could you think this movie is about you?'

"Many Christians are even more delusional than the person I've been describing. So many of us think and live like the movie of life is all about us."

Ouch. When we say, "It's all about Him," do we really mean it or even understand it?

3 comments:

Ninfa said...

Wow, great thought! I think I might like to read this book!

You know the hardest thing we will ever do is to actually live a life that is all about Him. I say that because the human part of us wants that "look at me,love me" attention from the rest of the world. We all want to be noticed, appreciated, loved, acknowledged, etc... This is that common human longing that we fight against every day that we live our lives in a way that says "Not me... Him." (sorry Tony ;O))

We live in a country that is blessed with freedom beyond any other. We have rights that many would die for and our own ancestry, in fact, has died to give us. While this is a wonderful thing in that it gives me the right to worship God freely and openly, there is a downfall to it all. America is a very "ME" centered society, MY Rights, MY things, MY life. We laugh at a little child who is learning to talk and beginning to "mine" stage. It is cute for a while but can become a little annoying as time passes. We never really grow out of that stage though. So living in a place as blessed as America makes it difficult to wrap out brains around the idea of "dying to self". My kids are not mine, my home is not mine, my husband is not mine, my things are not mine. I have borrowed them from a loving God and the sooner I get that through my head and realize that this is not MY life, but HIS life the better off I will be.

craig said...

Isn't that the way it really goes. We have to take a step back and really look at who we are really following. Many times, we are simply guiding our own way and trying to add in some "works" so others might not think so. Thanks for your daily writings. It has been a blessing!

Dean Lusk said...

Thanks for the comments!

Not to psychoanalyze myself (or you), but sometimes even when I think I'm being "all about God," I'm actually making it "all that I'm doing for God."

I loved the movie analogy. The book seems to be a must-read thus far.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review