Site Meter

12 July 2008

Apollo the Dog vs. Rocky Lusk

Remember the part in Rocky III where Apollo Creed has a footrace on the beach with Rocky and winds up beating him by about a mile and a half? That was the scenario with Hershey the Dog and me yesterday. We weren't on the beach, but we were near an above-ground pool, so it's kinda the same.

I just wanted to see if I might be faster than Hershey the Dog yesterday, in spite of the fact that's historically only been the case in Fantasyland. And yesterday I confirmed that I'm still not faster. After about fifteen or twenty of the fastest paces I could muster, I slowed down and watched him race home ahead of me, working up slobber as I worked up a sweat.

I did make it home. Yes, Hershey the Dog arrived ahead of me, but indoor air conditioning was waiting for me when I got there (not for Hershey the Dog, but that's a story for a different analogy).

I've come to find out that perseverance is one of the toughest disciplines to master, or come close to mastering, in my walk with Christ. Steeling myself for a day to say, "Okay, Lord, I will be diligent to endure and even be thankful for this situation or this person today," is easy enough to do. For a day. When the situation doesn't change tomorrow or the next day, though, in that short amount of time I actually begin to think, "Okay, God, aren't you supposed to be changing that person [and not me]?!"

"So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Therefore, whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone—especially to those in the family of faith." (Galatians 6:9-10, NLT)

"I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things [read the preceeding verses] or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me. No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us." (Philippians 3:12-14, NLT)

3 comments:

Fernando C. Zamora said...

LOL ... you raced with Hershey...dropping by here to read your posts too

Christy said...

Amen! Oh, and I slowly, intentially read the Scripture you used today (see my blog today). ;0)

Dean Lusk said...

This post really kicked me in the can this week. It's been a week where diligence has been needed, and I've had to ask God for every ounce of strength and resistance to despairing thoughts that He could see fit to give me.

I'm not completely sure I made it through unscathed, but I'm absolutely certain that I've come out of the week a bit stronger.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review