Site Meter

14 July 2008

5ive O' Clock Shadow

NOTE: The title of today's post is borrowed from an old friend's band's name, 5ive O'Clock Charlie

I have discovered something over the course of my post-15-years-old-or-so life: if I don't shave my facial scruff in the morning before getting out in the sun (to swim or to, oh, say, work on a deck), I will develop a facial tan line that looks really silly when I eventually do shave.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us." (Hebrews 12:1, NLT, emphasis mine)

As we grow in our relationship to God through Jesus Christ, we will become more and more aware of the apparent "little things" that are hindering that relationship (if we don't, I'd go so far as to say that the relationship isn't flourishing). Lately I've become more and more aware of little niggling problems that just have to be removed. A year ago I don't think I'd have noticed them; that, or I wouldn't have seen them as problems or cared to do anything about removing them.

Simply being aware of my five o'clock shadow will not remove a single whisker from my face -- my mug will not shave itself, but deliberate action will be required on my part. I can't think of a more obvious analogy (except maybe friend and blogger Christy's "rather obvious analogy" a couple of weeks ago) to extricating ourselves from sin, or rather, extricating sin from ourselves.

1 comments:

Christy said...

Hebrews 12:1 is one of my favorite verses. I never thought I'd read it in a blog about facial hair, though. LOL! Thanks for the link love (term I learned from SCL).

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review