Site Meter

19 March 2008

Original Music -- "Wish"

It's high time I started posting this stuff, I think.

It's been several years since I wrote and recorded any music, and I thought it might be enjoyable for some of you to hear a few of those pieces. After all, musicians and songwriters typically don't record music just to keep it on the "down-low" and listen to it themselves ("Hide it under a bushel -- NO! I'm gonna let it shine").

Today's song, called "Wish" (click on the song title to play the MP3 or right-click and "Save As" to download it), was co-written and sung years ago with my brother in Christ and long-time friend Mark Williams. I know, it's tough for him to keep up with my vocal chops (he's singing on the verses, I'm on the choruses), but he persevered.

I'll try to think of a prize to award to the person who can answer this correctly (my wife is automatically disqualified, though I have my doubts that she remembers): can you tell what this song is talking about? I had a pretty bad habit of writing songs that were so cerebral or figurative that it was really difficult for any normal person to make sense of them, but really, this one's not too bad. Post your guess in the comments section. (UPDATE: your guess must be pretty specific rather than one stating a general meaning -- I started out with a particular story line and structured the song around it, leaving out pretty much every detail of the story. Dumb, I know.)

The lyrics are as follows (and I've added random notes below that for the two or three people who may be interested in some of the odds and ends associated with the song's recording):

Wish
by Dean Lusk and Mark Williams
(c) 199? Unity Musicworks

Born and raised in Dixie; slow-motion dreams.
Open invitation; same old routine.
Instant recognition: just one more face.
Terminal condition, is it worth it?

I won't wish on a fallen star
Though sometimes that's all I can see.
I won't wish, but I'll still believe.
The choice is up to me.

Born again in Dixie; old country church (yeah)
Lifetime dedication, love reimbursed.
Destination heaven when this life ends.
There are no regrets 'cause it's been worth it.

When falled angels sing their lullabyes,
Temporary brilliance becomes permanent night.

I won't wish on a fallen star
Though sometimes that's all I can see.
I won't wish, but I'll still believe.
The choice is up to me.


Miscellaneous notes that only two or three people may be interested in -- stop reading if you're not a recording enthusiast:

This was one of about three songs I recorded with the Roland TD-5 drum "brain" and programmed on a Korg T3 keyboard. I really like the authentic sound of that drum module. On this and many other songs, I played tambourine parts live to give the illusion of a real drummer; to contrast my non-perfect timing against the drum machine's dead-accurate timing.

I think that, on this song, I ran the snare drum through a speaker in a recording booth and put a mic on it and re-recorded it to achieve what I think is a more real sound -- there's something about air movement that can't be captured by a digitally-sampled sound source. Oh, and I compressed the poo out of it.

I recorded the guitar parts with one of my all-time favorite guitars, an Ibanez Talman with a flame maple top and three soapbar pickups, and ran it through a cheap-o Park amplifier (a Marshall rip-off). This song has one of my least-favorite guitar breaks in it.

I played the bass part on this and almost all of my other songs on a cheap-o Peavey Fury bass. I believe I'd just restrung it with LaBella strings -- awesome tone, but very short tonal life.

The bridge is my favorite part of the song, with the exception of the very loose-sounding buildup into the following chorus.

4 comments:

leroy said...

The song sounds a bit like you are reminding yourself to not put your trust and faith in "man".

Leroy said...

Jimmy Lee Swaggert

Leroy said...

Dean's life story?

To all the other readers...I'm on vaction this week, so the guesses could be plentiful!

Lisa said...

Hmmm...I'm gonna guess (drum roll please, just don't compress the poo out of it) Michael English.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review