Site Meter

03 March 2008

Exposition

In an online daily Scripture study I sometimes enjoy, this verse was the focus today:

"Then He said to them, 'Therefore every scribe instructed concerning the kingdom of heaven is like a householder who brings out of his treasure things new and old.'" (Matthew 13:52, NKJV)

The thing that actually caught my attention most in today's study was that there were 11 paragraphs that explained and examined this verse, going back to Greek words, examining the various implications of the words used, etc.

Now, I am not at all suggesting that there is anything wrong with exegetical analysis of the Scriptures. Matter of fact, that's often the purpose of this daily study and is one of the things I like about it. It just struck me as a little ironic today, for some reason.

I was reminded of a Francis Chan sermon in which he spoke briefly about Jesus' words in Matthew 19:23 (NASB): "And Jesus said to His disciples, 'Truly I say to you, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.'"

Chan's immediate comments were something like, "I've studied this verse over and over, for years, and now I finally think I know what Jesus was trying to say. See, what Jesus was really trying to say here is that... it's hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven."

I had to smile.

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review