Site Meter

18 March 2008

All About Easter

I don't go on too many public rants, so this post is a little unusual. I don't believe this is one of those reactionary situations in which we should just let things run their course.

I like Hannah Montana -- for real. I like bunny rabbits. I like chocolate. I love Jesus. But to roll all these things (except Jesus) into a product that is somehow supposed to celebrate Easter is really mind-boggling to me -- last night I saw a commercial for a Hannah Montana Easter basket. I scrunched my face up when it came on. (In all fairness, when I Googled for a link to the basket, it was mercifully difficult to find something that wasn't from eBay, so I present you with this representative gem of a link instead: "The Easter Bunny Is Comin' To Town")

Since before my childhood, it's been pretty widely accepted that Santa Claus is simply a part of Americana along with baseball, Superman, apple pie, etc. The Easter bunny, though, didn't have the foothold that Mr. Claus had when I was a boy. I suppose that's why this is all still such an eyebrow-raiser for me. I'm completely appalled, and my appallation (that's a mountain chain, isn't it?) is getting worse.

For the sake of today's post, I am somewhat conceding the Santa fight, but for the love of God (and I mean that genuinely), please don't go out and perpetuate the further commercialization of Easter by purchasing baskets, eggs, bunny things, or even candy to "commemorate" this most holy day. Can we not draw the line on this one?

4 comments:

Christy said...

Dean, I'm surprised you're still using the term "Easter" and not using "Resurrection Sunday" or something similar. This would actually be a time when I would agree with a name change! “Easter” was derived from the name Eostre, the Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring, to whom the month of April was dedicated. The festival of Eostre was celebrated at the vernal equinox, when the day and night gets an equal share of the day. I was planning on writing on this very subject in my blog, now I don’t know if I will or not, but I probably will.

LINK to History of Easter
www.theholidayspot.com/easter/history/

Dean Lusk said...

Hoo-wee! (If you're not in the southern United States, you'll think that's a meaningless pairing of syllables, but it's very relevant here.) Good comment!

Every Sunday is "Resurrection Sunday," but I will be utterly happy to begin using that term instead of "Easter" from this day forward.

Thanks! I hope you'll write about it. Look forward to reading!

Anonymous said...

While my hubby and I have not done the Santa thing or the Easter bunny, we have done the baskets with candy. There doesn't seem to be any confusion in my kids minds about what Christmas is and what Easter is. The first thing when asked what Easter is and they will say is when Jesus was raised from the dead. Seems like they don't equate the candy baskets with Easter at all. Just my 2 cents.

Pam M

Jan said...

Dean, are you telling me that the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus are not REAL? I just thought maybe I had been bad for 24 years.......:) I hate to tell you that I have already bought Easter bunnies and peeps for my kids. I don't think they care, I'm just struggling with my children not being, well, children. It's a last gasp effort on my part to hang onto their childhood, although we have never done the Easter Bunny or Santa. (janny claus comes to our house!) I will further admit that - in a moment of extreme emotion - I actually ate a Cadbury egg, even though I am dieting. All of this has nothing to do with what you wrote about except this:

I actually forgot about the "bunny" stuff this year. I walked into Target for some other errands and thought "oh my gosh - i forgot!". I actually think that's good for me. Maybe my mind is settled more where it should be. Isn't it amazing how we can take a precious holy remembrance of what God has done and make it about us and what we get? God give us holy moments and make us aware enough to recognize them!

Preach on brother!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review