Site Meter

04 December 2007

Your Mission, Should You Choose to Accept It...

I'm not sure if it's humorous or sad that I sometimes wait for some major spiritual insight to come crashing in before moving forward with what I believe is my piece in God's plan. I don't know that I've ever used "let me pray about it" as an excuse to procrastinate (I've found that I sometimes don't even need an excuse to do procrastinate), but I do believe that I've probably held back on some decisions here and there, or even just some plain ol' good things to do, because I was waiting to be assigned what I thought should be some large task.

As our guest speaker, Tommy Marr, noted Sunday night (and I paraphrase), "The New Testament -- there's plenty for us to do in here until God gives us some special task: tell people about Christ, love one another, feed the hungry, help the poor..."

I believe we often fail to consider that everyday, mundane "little" things are just as important as what we'd consider to be the "big" things. Psalm 37:23 says, "The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives." Sometimes we get wind up trying to do something so big (or so busy) that we lose sight of the importance of one-on-one interaction with other people. As a ministry leader, this is incredibly easy to do!

We may feel unimportant or that we're failing to fulfill some greater purpose unless we're actively doing something of apparent significance. Keep in mind, however, that God may be preparing us for something that He has for us to do at a later time, or He may simply prefer that we continue doing what we're doing -- working (or -- gasp! -- resting) in a place with little spotlight and little obvious reward.

1 comments:

Jan Owen said...

I think we underestimate the power of simple faithfulness and living with a loving spirit towards those around us, meeting a physical need, etc. Not only are we commanded to do these things, I think sometimes they are HARDER to do because there is no real pride in it for us. If God gives us a "big" assignment, we feel "extra special". If we quietly (and many times silently and invisbly) keep on keeping on, meeting needs that are before us, being fully present to someone that is hurting, etc. there is none of that. Yet, I think it might be those people that make the most profound personal impact on others. Most of us will not be called to be a Moses! And certainly faithfulness in the small things can lead to more opportunities as our character and faithfulness is tested. And yes, I use the word "faithfulness" unashamedly - who doesn't want a faithful friend or spouse?

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review